Am I a bad mom if I occasionally share bottles between my twins?

So sometimes the twins share a bottle of formula. Its only cause I have a 18mth old as well and its very difficult for me to waste formula. Has anyone else done this with their twins?

kherz

Asked by kherz at 3:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know that there would be a problem with it unless one is sick.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• As long as they're not sick I don't see that there is any problems. I guess it's kind of like eating leftovers.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I dont think its bad. But sometimes they can pass viruses to eachother that may not have caught even being next to eachother. Strep for instance. I had it and no one in my house caught it. Now if we were sharing drinks then everyone would have got it. Just be cautious.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't say you are a bad mom. I wouldnt say it was exactly sanitary but I don't see anything horrible about it.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Oh and to answer your question, no that doesn't make you a bad mom, just a frugal one :-)
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Since they're all over each other, and their stuff, they're already sharing all the same germs. It may marginally increase the likelihood of them all coming down with the same things at once, but that's going to happen a lot, anyhow.

It's more important that you handle the bottles carefully --gastro-enteritis is caused by spoiled food, and giving all of your kids food poisoning at one time would not be funny. Dairy products should not sit at room temperature for more than 10 or 15 minutes, especially when it has been heated (no reason to heat a bottle that I know of, moms seem to prefer it but babies don't often care), and no bottle that has been in a baby's mouth is safe to eat (by anyone) more than 10 or 15 minutes later.

Even baby's mouths have a lot of germs that thrive on body-temperature formula... don't give them a chance to multiply or you'll have little people being re-hydrated in the pediatrics ward.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I always had mine start with their own bottle, but if one finished and the other didn't I had no problem giving the one who was still hungry what was left in the other's bottle.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree. I see nothing wrong with it unless one is sick.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• As long as they're getting the proper amount of formula to drink I don't see why it would be a bad thing. Holding out on giving them the right amount of formula by making them share would not be good at all.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think your concern shows that you're a good mom. They should be okay unless one is sick.
    dkvhensley

Answer by dkvhensley at 4:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2011