2.5 year old daughter not at all interested in using the potty

my 2.5 year old daughter has no interest in using the potty. in all other areas of development she seems on track and even advanced. she speaks perfectly. has a large vocabulary. knows all shapes and colors. can count to five. draw happy faces and balloons. but she doesnt want to use the potty! in fact she really doesnt even want to be changed when she needs it. is this normal? it is driving me crazy. i have always introduced it to her, and she has always come to the bathroom with me. we read books about it. and watch elmo's potty time. but she doesnt care. in fact when i bring it up, she either ignores me or starts acting silly as to change the subject. what would you do? just wait?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hmmmm... whats her favorite snack i know its a bad thing but sometimes you have to bribe kids to get them to do what the need to. stickers, WHATEVER YOU KNOW that will get her going and then slowly as she goes more wean her off the treats...
    larrieshayamini

Answer by larrieshayamini at 4:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Give her time. My 3 yr old girl just started getting interested.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Maybe she will be when she is 3.5 yr. When she starts preschool she will want to be like the others. Maybe you need not ask and suggest. Just take charge. Tell her you are going to use the potty and this is what is going to happen. Take her there about every 1/2 hour.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Well she may just not be ready yet believe it or not. You should try her every 10 to 15 minutes and possibly if she goes really really BIG praise and lots of hugs. Have a little girls potty near or in the bathroom where you go, some kids are afraid of the big toilet. You might even have to reward her, a LITTLE box, made up of crayons, books, coloring books, lollipops, things she interested in, and she can pick 1 every time she goes. Some people give an M&M when their kids go. My Dr. told me they won't go until their ready, with the body and the brain connecing the feeling to go,then it's a lot easier because they feel the urge. Good Luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• its okay, not all kids are ready by 2. my dd2 just turned 2 in december and she's not interested either. she actually prefers to wear her diaper rather than big girl panties or go try to use her big girl potty. once in a while she'll tell me when she's dirty but she usually doesn't care either.. lol. just gotta hang in there and wait a little longer
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'd say she isn't ready. Don't force her or you may cause it to take even longer. Patience is the only way. I had to wait until after 3.5 to 4 for several of my kids. Eventually she will get it.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• She isn't ready give her time! Good luck hun!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'd give her a bit longer. If she still isn't showing interest by 3, just go ahead and start potty training. My son never, ever showed any interest and never particularly cared about being wet (he didn't like having poop in his pants). Just after he turned 3 (at the advice of our pediatrician), we started and it only took about 48 hrs to get the basic idea. It took a lot longer to perfect the process. We started by putting him on the potty once a day until he'd sit willingly and usually pee. (Prior to that he'd protest even sitting so we'd made progress...) After dinner but before his bath was an ideal time since he often had to pee.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011