please help! is this normal? 5 year old, humping? adult content

DS was in his bed, with the blankets over him. i looked over at him and it looked as if he was humping his bed-- the butt area was going up and down. i walked over to pull the blanket off, to kinda "catch him in the act"... but before i could do that, he put his head up. i asked him what he was doing- and he said nothing. i kept asking him and his answers turned to "its disgusting" and then "i was naked"... he finally answered with he was tickling himself with teddy (a big teddy bear). i asked how.. and he said that when his underwears off, and he goes like this (kinda hopping up and down), it tickles.

is this normal? not normal? i asked him if someone showed him how to do it, or if he seen it somewhere, and he said no, that he had a dream.

i dont know what to do. =( or if its normal, or what!

(DS is 5 years old)

Shy_Dia

Asked by Shy_Dia at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Absolutely. Just explain to him that it's something that is normal but he needs to maybe shut his door when he does it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• totally normal

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I know this is TMI but when I was around that age I was super high strung. I wouldnt sit still and one day when I was jumping around on the edge of the chair it actually felt good! lol Seriouslt I think this is def normal. As mavi said...tell him its to be done in private with the door closed
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• omg, thank god! i was really freaking out thinking someone was touching or showing my son! worst feeling ever.

we sleep in the same room.. actually, our entire life is in our bedroom; our beds, tv, my desk for work, his toys. lol if we're home, we're down here. i do have a sheet divider for my bed, but should i do the same for his bed? so he has that privacy for when i'm awake and he wants to do his business?
    Shy_Dia

Comment by Shy_Dia (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's very normal for him to masturbate. He most likely discovered that touching himself felt good while he was exploring his body. Don't discourage him or tell him it's naughty. Best thing to do if you see him doing it is to tell him it's ok if he does but ONLY in his bedroom or in the bathroom and never when other people are in the room with him. Now is a good time to start talking to him about sexuality but never with details.
    Here is a website that discusses masturbation in young children.. hope this eases some concerns
    http://www.drgreene.com/qa/masturbation-young-children

PS: I remember masturbating as a 4yr old.. no one taught me to do it.. I just found that touching myself down there felt good
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 4:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• OMG!  You poor dear!  I'm so sorry that you were freaking out!  Yes, this is completely normal!  Kisses to you!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It is completely normal. Don't let him think its disgusting either, he needs to have a good self image.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• relax, at least he was in his room. I would make sure he knows it's normal and maybe redirect the teddy bear part f you can. He is a little young to be using toys.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 9:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think if i would have caught my five year old doing that i would have freaked, but i was raised to be very conservative. I think i would just tell my five year old that he shouldn't be doing that and redirect his energy to something else. he has plenty of years to explore his body but he doesn't have a ton of years to just be young and have fun.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Okay, thank goodness for this post - I ALMOST FREEKED OUT!!! The only difference is that I caught my 5 year old daughter humping and caught the fright of my life, I interogated her for about an hour because I thought that somebody showed her or worse off, she told me it came from her brain when she was sleeping - I AM SITTING HERE IN COMPLETE SHOCK - Is this normal for a girl as well!!!!!!
    SAmomma

Answer by SAmomma at 1:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2012