If someone marries an illegal

alian, do they automaticly become a citizen. 

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 4:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, they don't. It opens some doors but unless they are here legally they do not get a green card. If they are here legally they will get a fast track green card. Citizenship is a whole other deal.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No. Even when they are here with the proper visas and what not getting married to a citizen doesn't automatically make them a citizen. They have to take the citizenship test in order to become a citizen plain and simple.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No! If they marry an illegal immigrant they can apply for a 'spouse of a citizen' status. However during application process the illegal person can be sent home until the application is approved, which could be up to 3 years. They go through a lot of testing to make sure the marriage is real. After the application is approved they can become citizen after 5 years
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No they don't! My DIL was born in Mexico and came here when she was 6 months and she has to go get her card to work and pay taxes every year. They have to pay a lawyer and go through the legal process to be a citizen. If they have children then the children are citizens.
    dana63

Answer by dana63 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• UT oh....here goes a touchy American, in this economy , tough question. I have no opinion to share so you get a bump. Hopefully their will be zero bashing. Be nice girls.

american flag ribbon

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 4:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No, they still have to apply for citizenship. They can stay in the country legally as long as they file the correct paperwork to be the spouse of a citizen.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my mom passed the citizenship test about 8 years ago. she was a military brat born in germany and my grandfather started getting stationed in the US when she was about 8 years old. so she's lived here since she was 8 but only recently became a citizen. her getting married to my dad 25 years ago did not give her citizenship. but she was not illegal, either.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• They get a lovely green card.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I hope not..... it certainly wouldn't be fair or valid in my eyes. If a friend told me she married an "illegal" I'd basically consider him her boyfriend or fiance I suppose. It's not a real marriage if he could get busted and deported at any moment
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No. When I married my husband I had to apply to become a "registered alien" and then wait a minimum of 5 years before I could become a citizen. The marriage is quite legal though and any children born into the marriage are automatically citizens.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011