Martin Luther King Day

Just read a few questions on here about it and if it should be used as a make-up day at school or if kids should go to school on that day. Do you htink kids would learn more about it if they had school that day and did a project to learn about it instead of having the day off? Do we have to have a day off school to show respect for the day? Our kids were out of school that day but I was surprised that some schools were in session or used it as a makeup snow day. I am thinking it may be more beneficial to have school and be sure it is discussed at school on that day...any thoughts?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Holidays

• I'd personally prefer my kids to be in school. They could show the respect by teaching them about MLKJ in history, english, art, etc
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 4:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• We do not get to decide. It is what it is, ya know. There are many things, nothing in particular, that I do not get. For me it's the what ya going to do thing????
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 4:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Not all schools recognize that holiday as a no school day.
    I never had the day off on MLK day.. But we did do projects like you said. And i appreciated it more, than being at home driving my mom crazy!
    I think kids should be in school that day.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011