how can i get my daughter to communicate ith me more

tammy372011

Asked by tammy372011 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My best advice for parents is to back off a little. I remember going through my tweens and my mom was ALWAYS pushing at me. If you know some of the things she likes, study up on them.. listen to her favorite band (even if you can't stand them) At the very least, read some of the lyrics.. and don't become freaked out or forbid her to listen to it if there are lyrics you don't like, ask her to go shopping with you.. that you'd like her opinion on getting a new outfit, etc. Spend quality time with her without prying too much into her life.. She'll start to see you as someone she can share things with rather than someone who "is always on her case". You can also go get pedicures together or something like that... don't expect her to open up right away. It'll take some time but be patient! Good luck!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 4:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• there was a point in time around 5/6 grade that my (currently) 16 yr old didnt really want to talk with me. I explained that it was important for us to keep the communication open but if she really didnt want to talk she could write to me.

we bought a notebook and told no one in the house about it. We had a secret hiding place and we would write notes back and forth. The rule was that we were not allowed to tell anyone about it and we were not allowed to discuss with each other what was there... it was all to be written.

I would have broken the second rule if anything "really concerning" was in the book.... but it was just normal tween concerns

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• sahlady, I LOVE the notebook idea. I may steal it for my dd who will be 9 in March, she loves to write and although she has no problem telling me things at the moment, it may come in handy. Especially for puberty.
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 8:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2011