Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Does anyone have any advice on how to approach a tribal governor?

My fiance is e-mailing the governor of the Chickasaw tribe in hopes that he will honor the beliefs that indian tribes once had about "two-spirited" ppl. The reason she is doing all this is bc the last time we went to court for custody for Galen (her daughter from a previous marriage) the judge said that if she wanted custody then I had to go. I cannot be around her unless we are married. Which in Oklahoma gay marriage is looked down upon. We are attempting to save money to go to Iowa to finally tie the knot, but we are not sure if the courts will recognize the marriage. If anyone has any advice plz feel free to post it. We need all the advice n support we can get.

Answer Question

Asked by shellbi19 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Relationships

Level 6 (126 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Contact the tribal administration office; they probably have someone who deals with non-tribal courts. I deal with a tribal chairman regularly and he has to be approached via his subordinates as he's very busy.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • It's going through Tribal Courts. That's why she is writing the Governor.

    Comment by shellbi19 (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • I wish you and your partner the best of luck.
    This is textbook discrimination. I don't know about tribal courts, but this should not happen. Period.
    Not only discrimination, but invasion of privacy as well. They wouldn't look down on a heterosexual couple, non married living together, would they? Would they look down on 2 hetero women living together if they weren't romantically involved?
    If your tribe is going to discriminate based on your sexual preference, the only advice i have, is to go outside the tribe.
    I would be making hell for the tribe, if they were trying to tell me who i could and couldn't love, and whether that person can be around my child. Do they do that for your partner's ex? Forbid any women to be there if they aren't married? If not, I would make damn sure, it went both ways!
    All the luck to you. You two don't deserve to be singled out and discriminated against, just because of who you love. It is wrong.

    Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • No they don't even care if he has a female around her.. Bc of the simple fact... He's straight.. He doesn't even want custody, he said it himself. He said, "I don't want custody, but I don't want her to have her". He said that in court.. Now tell me if that isn't a shitty father.. He's as dumb as a sack of rocks I swear. A daughter needs her mother n bc of this asshole n the freakin judge they are making it impossible. The ppl that have temporary custody of her wont even let my fiance see her, when she calls to talk to her they are on the other phone. If they don't like how the conversation is going they will tell Galen to hang up or they hang up the phone for her! I swear I cannot stand narrow minded ppl. They call themselves Christians hmmm I'm a preachers granddaughter I know the bible n honey let me tell you Idk what bible they are hugging but it sure isn't the one I read from every night.

    Comment by shellbi19 (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.