11 year old - worries about everything...

My wonderful 11 year old Niece worries all the time.. She has been raised by her Mom only.. but only part time in that - my mom has basically raised her with school work, events, activities, sports, zoo's , movies.. all the things most moms want to do with their child.. Her mother is very controlling and unapproachable for most subjects for my niece. Lately she's ( my niece ) become overly Picky with foods, worries ALL the time if she will get homework, if she will understand it, if she is forgetting something.. she at 11, is basically straight E's ( which is A ) always organized and a great child all around.. but the worrying is getting out of control where she's making herself sick.. anyone else go through this? We are also with her alot so it is noticable for all of us ( Except her mom ) we think ( Me and my Mom ) its due to some instability of her home life, but we still want to know how to help her..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like anxiety. She should be evaluated by a pro. She may need some meds to help her. I have a daughter with anxiety and she takes meds, but only when she is really having a problem. She would be so nervous she would throw up. Anything could set her off... like spooky music in a movie or on a video game. She will now tell me when she needs the meds and it isn't very often any more.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• TALK TO HER BE HER FRIEND, UNDERSTAND HER CHILDHOOD, AND ALWAYS CLEAR ANY DOUBT SHE EXPRESSES AN EXPLAIN WHY . WITH YOU EXAMPLE SHE WILL WORRIED LESS. BE HER MENTOR LUCK
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 5:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I wish I did have some answers for you. If she were an adult I'd suggest a medical checkup, yoga, and maybe counseling. At 11 she may be having hormonal changes that are causing stress. My suggestion is to ask her doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 5:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Could be the start of OCD. Or she is just scared. Like you said unstable home life. Is their any ways to talk to her about it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011