Does your child do this?

My son is 6 years old & uses the crying tactic to get his way, he just got out of school laid on the floor started crying because he wanted to play the game I told him no & thats not the way to get your way did i handle that sitaution in a good way? or should i have just gave in/

Marie_07

Asked by Marie_07 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• never give in! hello???? walk away and stick to your guns!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 5:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think you handled that situation beautifully. Giving into that kind of behavior will only send them the sign that it is acceptable, and that they will get there way when they behave that way.
    RysMom09

Answer by RysMom09 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• just say no in a very calm manor, tell him you will not deal with him until he behaves like a 6 yr old, then walk away and ignore it.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You did the right things. My 3 are all older now but I would walk away or ignore them after I told them no. They realized I wasn't giving in and it wasn't go to work on me, they stopped.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 5:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think you did the right thing by not giving in. If you told him he couldn't play the game then you should not give in just because he is crying. You might have given him a reason why he couldn't play the game at this time or possible told him that you could play later.

good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Never. He knows we don't listen to crying.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My daughter is 2 and does this. Do NOT give in! If you do, that's going to make him think, "Oh if I cry, I'm going to get what I want!" When my daughter starts her little temper tantrums, I let her know that this is not going to get her anywhere, I tell her why she can't have what she wants and then I let her throw her little fit. She doesn't do it quite as bad as she used to. I think the older she gets the more she understands. She does like to pull it more with her dad though because she knows he's a softy but she knows I'm the exact opposite! Crying will not get her anywhere, it just makes her not get it even more.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Do not give in! Stay calm and stick to your guns.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Don't give in. I think you did the correct thing. Just keep your cool and don't be drawn in.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree, you did do the right thing, although it's hard to do and easier to give in....they will just get worst if you give in to them....believe me, mine do it all the time :)
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 5:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011