Would you ever hire a postpartum doula or newborn specialist/night nanny?

If you could afford it, would you hire someone to come into your home after birth and:

support/assist you
allow you to sleep at night
provide breastfeeding support
teach you newborn care/skills
give you confidence in your abilities
be a non-judgmental helper for the first weeks/months

christyg

Asked by christyg at 5:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I might, because most post partum doulas will also help do chores, so you can focus on your baby. I felt pretty confident, as far as how to care for a newborn, and reached out and got the help I needed with breastfeeding. DH was great (still is), and would let me nap when I could. The first few days home were a blur, but. They sure were wonderful. We were in our little bubble, and I loved it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yes,.,. after what I went through with my son, YES... if I could afford it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No, I wouldn't.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yes, for sure. I actually was going to try to after baby #2 but when I wasn't able to breastfeed her I couldn't justify the expense, since that's so much of the assistance I would've needed her for
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• no, i think ill just do it myself. Thats part of the bonding experience with your baby that youll never get back. Ok, so waking every other hour isnt exactly glamourous but thats having a baby. I know someone who had her parents take care of her kids at night so she could sleep and she got so used to it that when the parents stopped and she had to wake up at 6 am she couldnt handle it and like freaked out. Maybe its good for some people but the moment i became pregnant i resigned myself to no sleep from that day forward and looked forward to being the one that baby turned to when he needed something.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 6:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No. I like to be the one raising my children, bonding with them. Those first few weeks are the ultimate bonding experience.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• no i wouldn't cause i believe myself that when you have kids you take care of them yourself... you wanted kids so take care of them that's just me... but i think there are some ppl who may need it.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yesssssssss
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• "when you have kids you take care of them yourself... you wanted kids so take care of them"

;-)
    I encourage you to re-read the description/original post.
    It's not asking about hiring Child Care.
    Postpartum help is *very* different that Parenting or Baby Sitting-- it's to improve Parenting.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yes....as long as I had the final say.
    sharonrena

Answer by sharonrena at 7:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011