My aunt got bit by a cat at the Humane Society

Our shelter has a large area where the cats roam free. She was on her way out and walked past a cat tree and reached out to pet a kitty and it lunged out and bit her hand. It got her on the top of the hand and between the first and middle fingers. A few hours later,her hand swelled up like a balloon! The doc gave her oral antibiotics,but the hand got worse as the day went on,and she ended up at the ER tonight for a few shots in her butt. the shelter called,the cat is not vaccinated against ANY diseases.
Mr. Kitty is going to be put down in the morning and rabies tested.
My aunt is getting a lawyer tomorrow. Hopefully she does not get any worse!
Any idea of what kind of compensation we're looking at? She's going to miss work,and I can imagine these doctor bills will be hundreds of dollars.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pets

• Either way, all cats that are availiable for adoption and roam freely should be vaccinated. I just called my FIL, he is an animal welfare officer at our Humaine Society, he said that their building has a policy about that. If she got bit and took them to court they would most likely cover her medical expences and the conpensation wont be much because most Humaine Society divisions do not have a budget for law suits.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• OMG! Really?! You enter those rooms at your own risk. The humane society is a NON PROFIT organization that saves animals from abuse, neglect, and being put down. Your mother is a VERY sick person for wanting to sue the Humane Society. How selfish?!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Vote me down if you want. I am willing to bet that your mother passed some sort or sign on the way into that room. I am willing to bet that the employees stated that some animals were not fully evaluated. I am willing to bet that your mother is just looking for a way to get money. When you enter into a shelter of that type, there are always signs posted saying certain things. There are always employee stating that all the animals have not been evaluated.

Whose to say that your mother did not provoke the cat into the bite?

Not trying to me.. Trying to show you what a lawyer is going to think.. And the humane society has VERY good lawyers, lol.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If the bills are going to only be a few hundred dollars, is it really worth suing the humane society?
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It may of been a feral cat or a cat that has been abused by a human. If she does sue, I hope she gives the money back to any animal shelter that is trying to find homes for these furbies. I do think your at your own risk when you go into a place knowing animals are loose.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 6:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• She entered the room at her own risk. I frankly feel sorry for the cat. It sucks that she got hurt but I doubt the cat has rabies if that was the case the other cats would be infected by now. I agree that the cats should be vaccinated if they are going to be in an open room. however, those rooms are a good thing. I have seen many animals go insane living in small cages.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My FIL said they should not be roaming around the building free. It is against their policy to have unchecked animals roam free. If you dont mind me asking, why was she there? if she wasnt going to adopt or an employee?
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't bring my children into a room like that. Simply put. I also wouldn't sue the Humane Society. I entered that room at my own risk, filled with animals. I would be prepared if something like that were to happen... after all, it is a room full of stray animals.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Lilmomma, good lord read the question its her AUNT not her MOTHER
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• LOL! Oops.. Was thinking about 2 different things while typing. Was speaking to my husband about his mother.. and typing about your aunt. They crossed. Sorry. Your AUNT************************** should have known the risks. Just saying... I hate when I see people gripe that they were "attacked" by animals. Animals act like animals. They are known to turn on humans, harm humans & other animals, & such.

Either way, I highly doubt your AUNT will get any type of settlement other than an offer to pay whatever insurance doesn't cover & possibly lost wages... But she is going to have to have a very good lawyer to prove that she did not provoke the cat & that there were no warnings whatsoever.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011