Do you know anyone who unintentionally got pregnant at 48?

I just found out I am pregnant and to say I'm in shock is an understatement. I had thought I was in menopause, so the idea of having a baby when I have a daughter in college and a son in the 11th grade is beyond shocking & scary. Have any of you been pregnant in your 40's and if so how did it go and did the babies have genetic problems? I sure would appreciate some thoughts, so I can decide what to do based on how risky it is to have a child so late in life (although I am strong & healthy.) Thanks so much ladies.

Kerrie

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Not 48, but 46. My grandmother had my Aunt when she was 46 - 22 years after her last baby... My Aunt (now 21) was born happy & healthy and there were no complications... No genetic issues, no malformations... I personally think I was "too old" to have another child when I gave birth last month, and I'm 27. I couldn't imagine having one in my 40's. BUT, there is simply no reason why you can't have a happy healthy wonderful baby and a wonderful pregnancy too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Alot of women in their 40's (and later) are having babies these days, and lot of them (that i know of) have had healthy babies and actually really enjoyed it because they were able to spend more time with the child then when they were younger. If you and your SO are happy and can provide for this child then go for it! You have every right to be happy and have a healthy baby. With the technology these days, you and your baby will be well cared for probably by a high risk doctor (your young but its still considered high risk, but who knows you might have a regular OB). As for genetics, may i just use a slight recommendation? You are worried about the genetics but i wouldnt recommend the genetics test, that test is known for a ton of false scary results and it would just make you worry a ton more which you dont need. Well, congrats on your new bundle to come and good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 6:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• of coarse the risks are higher for a woman after 35, but there are plenty of women who have babies after 35 that are healthy, and yet still, even a baby with special needs is still just as much as a blessing. congratualtions, i think that's the coolest surprise!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 6:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my grandma had my uncle when she was 44. my mom was 22 years older then him and their other brother is 20 years older then him. the doctors kept telling her she wasnt pregnant, and just said she was going through menopause. so she didnt find out until she was 6 months. hes now 25 and very healthy :)
    congrats & good luck :)
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• A good friend of mine, and her twin brother were conceived accidentally when their mother was 46. She believe she was menopausal, and didn't find out she was pregnant until she was in her 5th month. They are now 29 years old, will be 30 this July.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I know a woman that thought she couldn't have kids. She adopted one or two (I only know the biological daughter) and then when she was in her 40's, I want to say 46, but not sure, she felt a kick and went to the doctor and turned out she was 4 or 5 months pregnant. Her daughter is now in her 30's and has two little girls of her own. They are all healthy.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My great grandmother gave birth to twins (my grandma and my great aunt) in 1938 at almost 50 and it was by no means planned I hear:) It is less likely the older you get but not impossible.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 10:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011