Should i wait with kindergarden or not?

I asked this question earlier but didnt get much advice. My sons birthday is July 13th, he will be 5 this summer. I dont know if we should send him this fall to kindergarden or wait until next year. The teacher said most boys with summer birthdays wait the extra year. He still doesnt know how to write his name, he can write most the letters but they are not in a line. He knows some letters and numbers. He knows most all shapes and all colors. He is in preschool now and if we doesnt go to kindergarten next year he will be doing another year of preschool.

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you had your son tested to see if he is ready for kindergarten? Before my oldest child went to kindergarten, the kindergarten teacher met her and tested her to see if she was ready.
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 6:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i saw once there was some sort of outline on what children should know when entering kindergarten. i am not sure if it was from this website. you might want to google that and take it from there. i have two nephews one with birthday in the summer and one in the winter and they both waited an extra year for kindergarten. there is alot he can learn from now until august so you can always reassess when you get a little closer. good luck!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• you can wait an extra year? i thought once they were 5, they had to go to kindergarten, unless the date was past a certain point.

they have to know their address, phone number, parents names, write their name, write their letters, read small words, tie a shoe, know colors, shapes, numbers, letters, vowels, consonants, and other things too. there is also a physical test too i believe

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Did you ask the preschool teacher if he will be ready for kindergarden next year?
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My sister son turned 5 in Aug. and is having a hard time. He was in no way ready for kindergarten. My sister said she wished she did not send him. In my daughters preschool they see where they are in pre-k then they tell you if they are ready or not. Every preschool should be doing this. My daughter is a July baby also so I am going to see where she is.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone! The teacher said he could change alot betoween now and spring, which i agree. But the crappy part is, that you have to register for kindergarten in like april....i dunno!!!
    mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I would get a list of what the school would expect of him when he starts and go over those things with him until it starts. If he seems to progress well, then you'd probably be fine starting him off in kindergarten at 5. My daughter is a July 28th birthday, and she started at 5. There were actually two girls in her class younger than her with October birthdays that started when they were four, but it is a private school and they were both ready. My brother is a July 6th birthday, and he started at 5, and while things went a little slow at first, he caught up no problem. The one issue that he had though was that he was a small kid in general, so being nearly a year younger than a lot of the kids emphasized that. That's something to think about also. He was only a little smaller in the first years, but by the time he got to high school the other boys were much bigger than him. So just some extra things to consider!
    jemm

Answer by jemm at 9:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Both of my boys have summer birthdays (June 22 and June 29) so they are the youngest in their classes. We let them start school at 5. My reasoning was that it would be good for them to be in a classroom setting and learning along with other kids around their age, but that if they were too immature, they could take kindergarten twice, which is what my husband did. His birthday is June 4. The kids did great with it. My oldest is now 8 and in third grade, reading at a fifth grade level. My youngest is 5 and halfway through kindergarten.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My son turns 5 in May. People have asked us the same thing. We are sending. iF all else fails, he will repeat kindergarten a 2nd year. He is more than ready academically, socially, and maturity. You could always work with him at home on writing his name. I have worked with my son in addition to private school.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I'm a behavioral specialist and work in pre schools. I meet with many parents of summer birthday boys to discuss these concerns. Hearing what you are saying about his current abilities, I really would suggest waiting that extra year. Will he make it in kindergarten? Yes, he probably will. What will that extra year of pre k do for him? It will give him time to master more "academic" skills, allow his focus and attention to increase as well as his overall interest in learning. When a child is able to do more indepent work, able to listen and contribute more, master some fine motor skills, his confidence in himself just grows! When a child feels that they can "do it" their belief in themself and self esteem builds. They become better learners and more confident children. I have never met a parent yet that had the decision to make that you do that regretted keeping their child in pre k for the extra year!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011