How to help my 20 month old accept new baby

My dd will be just days shy of 20 months old next month when I have my second daughter.
How can I help the transition go smoothly? I've already told her there is a baby in mommy's belly..but I don't think she understands. She is very loving with her baby dolls, always hugging and kissing them. Is there any way I can help prepare her to be a big sister?

I've been told having a present @ hospital from " baby" is a good thing, and I've already got plans in motion for that. I plan on buying her a few "Wiggles" things online and praying they get here by Feb. 24.

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 6:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wish i knew. i have a 3yr old son and im having a lil girl in may. im hoping he accepts the new addition to our family. good luck! hope all goes well!!
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thanks, and GL to you too :)
    AshleyRoseG

Comment by AshleyRoseG (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• When the baby comes make her your little helper and load on the praise. She can hand you diapers, etc. Also make it about her for awhile when you get home. Both you and your SO should spend one on one time with her and make her feel really special. This is some of the best advice I ever got when having my second. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• There are some cute books out there about being a big sister too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011