how tough is too tough?

ok so heres my dilemma... my 3 1/2 yr old son has been giving me some trouble going to sleep.. our bedtime ritual is as follows... 1 show , brush our teeth, pjs and a good night tuck in ... last night he kept getting out of bed to play than calling for me to fix his blankets... this happened about 4 or 5 times.. and its been happening that way for awhile now... because i want him to go to sleep comfortably ill go in and re tuck him in.. tonight he popped right out of bed and asked me to fix his blankets again.. i got frustrated and told him im not playing games .. im not going to fix your blankets go to sleep.. i want to tr y to stop the habit of him coming out of his room every 10 minutes.. do you think thats too harsh?

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• MY oldest daughter did that and now my youngest trsy it. its not harsh at all dont give into there lil games, they are testing u . Just do what u did. If he gets up take him right back to bed, it could take 10 times but he will get it. AFter 2-3 times telling him u ownt fix his balnkets dont asnwer him anymore, u can tell him goodnight go to bed now but dont respond to it . Now when my kids get out of bed i just simple tell them its time for bed now go lay down and they go.. GL
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Not at all. He needs to know it is bed time. My daughter has been doing this also, for about 2 weeks now. My daughter is also the same age as your son. I tell her this is bedtime and I am not coming in here anymore. Before bedtime I will say to her I am only tucking you in once I tell her this half hour before bed. Just keep doing what you are doing. Stay strong this is what I tell myself.
    Anonymous

• You did that right thing.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You might want to add a couple of books to your routine to quiet him down. On Supernanny she says take them back to bed over and over with no talking, but staying perfectly calm, until they stay. It can take quite awhile and several nights. The key is no talking and staying calm. You can also sit on the floor with your back to the bed, but it is still the same as far as taking them back to the bed. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• this may seem mean, but with my 3 year old son we put him to bed, tuck him in, have his cartoons on, and put a baby gate in front of his door. We have stairs so its a safety thing but it also helps keep him in his room and if he doesnt have to go pee or isnt crying, we let him do whatever. He's not in school or daycare yet.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No. Geez You'd think I was a drill sergeant.
    GaurdianSage826

Answer by GaurdianSage826 at 6:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2011