bringing up a single child Pro's Con's anyone who has one child what are your experiences raising an only child?.

MommyBear335

Asked by MommyBear335 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• i was an only child and i loved it... people always say 'oh man i dont know what i would have done without my sister/brother' and im like 'okay why are you telling me this i dont care' i mean my parents werent the best people but its not like i turned into an axe murderer because i was an only child
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Honestly, I don't think something should be based on having kids if you think that they will have "only child syndrome". I hear some women say that had another one because of that reason. But, there will always be Pros and Cons to both scenario.

I'm only having 1 child, she's 2 now. hahaha I have 16 years left. My DH and I could afford a few more...just choose not to have anymore. We want to be able to provide a great life for our daughter. Private school, college...ect...
    If we choose to have more, we wouldn't be able to do that.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My daughter is an only child. She gets all my attention, energy and love. She doesn't have to share her stuff with anyone else. I can spend a lot of money on her toys and clothing because I don't have to split my money between, say, 3 kids. She is very sociable and loves having friends because she doesn't have any siblings to play with.
    It is less stress for me, the house is not too noisy, I can be there for every one of her soccer games, piano recitals etc.

One huge con is that she will never have a sibling to share her life with. Even though the pros of being an only child are great, if I could have another child I would. There is nothing like a friendship between siblings.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 7:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i only said the thing about not caring because its not like i can go back in time and change it, my mom had cervical cancer when she was pregnant with me and had to have a hysterectomy after i was born so she coudnt have anymore anyway. not that she would have i dont think, she was 5 days shy of 35 already and i wasnt planned. anyway i got to go on many vacations when i was a teenager like Hawaii, Paris, Rome, Germany, Mexico, Canada, and all over the US which was a great experience and maybe i wouldnt have been able to being an only child... i cant say for sure though because my parents are sort of rich.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I was an only child. I had a close relationship with my cousins and some family friends who were around my age- if you have an only, I would really recommend that you foster those kinds of 'siblingish' relationships because those people have been very significant in my life... as an adult, I am still very close to most of my cousins and my childhood best friend who is the 'auntie' to my own kids. I think I would have disliked being an only child much more if I didn't have those sorts of relationships with other people in my life. As an adult, the main things that concern me are having no one to help out with my parents when they are old enough to need help, and I wish my kids had some 'real' cousins (though they are close to some of my cousin's kids and I hope that will carry them through.) Ultimately, though, I had three kids because I wanted that bigger, more boisterous family- but there's no right or wrong family size.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My son is almost 5 years old and an only child. He gets our attention, all of our resources, love, etc. He is very social because we have made it a point to socialize him. He is very considerate, loving, social, caring, stubborn, etc. He is also very smart because I can devote to working with him on education, my husband and I are at soccer games, t-ball games, preschool functions, he can go on nice trips, have nice things, etc. My son so far has never asked for a sibling. Many people ask him though does he want one. He is very adamant that he does not want one.  We have no desire to have another child.  Our family is perfect.  

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011