Private, home or public school?

And why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Non religious private. Because I feel homeschooling is not my best option and I am against some of public education's idiology.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 7:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My kids are in public school. I think people who put their kids in private schools keep them away from the real world and make them believe they are better than others. And I think homeschooling parents keep their kids from any world.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• agree with anon.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I disagree with your generalizations of private and homeschooling almost 100%.

I think that your comment about "making them believe they are better than others" speaks VOLUMES to an insecurity of YOURs.

The comment about homeschooling can be applied to a few.... but not all.

We moved to the best district in our county so that we could go to a public school.  Had we stayed where we were we would have paid for private to get a better education for our children than the school we were zoned for.  Homeschooling was not a choice we wanted for our children.

Anonymous

• Kind of in between I would say Public because it teaches them about the real world although there are times that I have wondered would private be an better option
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I don't see how private school keeps kids from the real world or teaches kids they are better than anyone else. My son is in private school this year for VPK because it is the best program in this town. Next year he will go to public school for kindergarten. Depending on how he does there he will either stay in public school or go back to his private school.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I've actually done all three with my kids. And there are good and bad things about each option....

Private school has smaller class sizes, and more one on one attention than public school, typically, and I say this from our experience, kids in private school are further ahead (I know this from moving my child from private to public school, - however, private schools often don't have the funding to provide special programs that public school can provide, and teachers often don't have to be certified and aren't held to the same standards as those in the public school system.

Public schools often have special programs available that private schools don't have, and their teachers do have to adhere to strict standards. However, they often teach "to tests", and have to teach to the average child in the classroom...which often leaves accelerated kids at a disadvantage, also class sizes are larger, which makes it harder

cont.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• continued:

for teachers to cover as much material as teachers can cover in private school.

Homeschooling can be a great option- kids get 1 on one attention, at home you can cover more material & when your child shows a lot of interest in a certain area, or shows a special talent or even has difficulty, you can stop & spend more time on those subjects. You can also do a lot more hands on learning than you can in a public school setting, and even a private school setting. Socialization isn't a problem because there are so many great homeschool groups, and kids are involved with activities with other kids of all ages, and backgrounds (up to the parent) unlike in public school where they are generally about the same age & from a nearby neighborhood. However, it does take a lot of work, and isn't the right option for every family.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• And....since I'm being so wordy.....
    my oldest went to private school for 3 years, then public and graduated from public school. My middle one went to public, then I homeschooled him for 3 years, he returned to public school for middle school, and graduated from public high school. My youngest went to public, I pulled him out with his brother, he chose to continue homeschooling, graduated from high school (with a legal diploma) and started college at age 15....all three of my boys are in college right now.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Public. I live in an area that has great public schools.

I can't afford private school, although if I could I would definitely consider it because of smaller class sizes and better education.
    I do not feel qualified to home school.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011