3 month old's 1st day on Zantac (ranitidine) ???

My sons doctor just put him on ranitidine for reflux, he was spitting up after almost every meal. We started the .8 mls doses last night. Problem is it seems like he's spitting up more now ... maybe not after every feeding (breastfed) but more spit up at one time; he projectile puked for the 1st time ever today and last night he was screaming like he was in pain for awhile (not sure if it was because of the meds though). It does, however, seem like he's taking longer naps and he's alittle more content just hanging out.

Is it normal for them to adjust to the meds this way (it's only been a day), should I stop giving it to him or give it time? Also what kind of long term side effects do these reflux meds cause, if any?

jer5341

Asked by jer5341 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm guessing every baby is different, because my daughter was put on it for her reflux as well and she was just fine.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If it were me, i would stop using it until i spoke to the Doctor about it. There are diff. meds for reflux and maybe this one is not the right one for your baby. Is there a doc on call you can ask? My boys doc have a dr. on call at all times.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm not sure, we just moved to the area and she just became his doctor; she didn't didn't give me information about calling after hours or any thing like that.

I'm wondering also if maybe it takes some time to work, maybe something else is causing extra irritation to his stomach ... maybe something I ate.
    jer5341

Comment by jer5341 (original poster) at 7:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My youngest was on it at about one and a half months old and it seemed to make her acid reflux worse for the first couple days. I would give it a week and if it doesnt start to work by then I would say its time to talk to the doctor
    bobbietrayer

Answer by bobbietrayer at 8:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Did it get better for her? He also has congestion, maybe the meds are causing some of that congestion to break loose?
    Think I will wait it out, glad it's not unheard of. Thank you
    jer5341

Comment by jer5341 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• if ur breast feeding it could b from something u are eating! my dd was sensitive to chocolate! she has very bad reflux and the doc was going to give us meds but i refused and did some more research, once i stopped eating chocolate she was fine and would only spit up once in a blue moon!! i would change wat u are eating first and then see if he still needs the meds!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My son was put on this for his reflux and I think it made it worse. We eventually switched to prevacid and it worked wonders! He out grew his reflux by 3 months and here at 9 months we barely have any issues and he is medicine free!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2011