Newborn biting while nursing...

My bff has a 2 1/2 week old girl. She is trying very hard to nurse but is having a difficult time because the LO bites. Mom is still extremely sore and uses nipple sheilds that help. She will gently pinch LO ear and she will let go, but she's getting use to it so it's not as effective. She is finding no pleasure in it and she feels like a bad mom if she quits (mostly hormone talk). Ant ideas out there?

tnunley

Asked by tnunley at 7:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG I can't believe someone would pinch a little tiny babies ear. We all have problems in the beginning. Have patience. Please tell her to stop pinching that poor baby. What in the world will she do when it's older!
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 7:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Does she have a lactation consultant or in touch with the le leche' league? She may be having a latching problem and it could be a pinching rather than biting.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's not a hard pinch... it doesn't hurt, it just gets her attention! Beleive me, she won't be the physical repremand type... she's more of the "time out" type... which is why she needs other ideas... So please no more bashing! :>)
    tnunley

Comment by tnunley (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Does she have a lactation consultant or le leche legue she can contact? The baby might be biting if he/she isn't latching properly and not getting enough milk (that's my guess).She might benefit from someone helping her find a position to latch better. Is the baby having enough wet diapers?

I am going to agree with the pinching comment though, I don't think it's a good idea because nursing is meant to be a time for the infant to feel safe and bonded with mother.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• well....i'm not sure how she could be biting since she doesn't have teeth, but i guess she means she is squeezing the gums on the nipple? that indicates that they do not have a good latch. so put the finger in the corner of baby's mouth to break suction and then relatch. if she is still having discomfort then perhaps she should call a lactation consultant or ask her ob/gyn to reccomend someone. but breaking the suction with the finger is always the way to go if you're having a problem with a newborn nursing.....not pinching or startling them. so she needs to work on the latch and then she will have a lot less soreness (it will go away once the good latch is learned by baby and momma), and she will find it easy.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree with the other ladies that recommend contacting La Leche League or an LC. It really sounds like the latch isn't right. Instead of pinching her ear, she should put her finger in the baby's mouth to break the suction and try to relatch. She wants to bring the baby's head to her breast, not her breast to the baby's mouth. And get the nipple in when the baby's mouth is open wide. I don't know much about tongue tie, but she might also research that. Tongue tie can cause latching problems and is easily fixed by a pediatrician. Kellmom.com is a great website for breastfeeding information.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That should be kellymom.com
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's not a bite. It's a latch problem. The baby needs to be checked for tongue tie. They need to go to a LLL meeting and get with a lactation consultant.

If you use a physical method to get a baby's attention like flicking or pinching, the baby will become frustrated at the breast. The next latch will become even harder to achieve.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• just have patentce, my ds had a strange latch and after a while he stoped playing around and just nursed
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 8:42 AM on Jan. 20, 2011