Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Supoort & Visitation Rights of Deadbeat father

i have two daughters who have different fathers (i was young and dumb for sure). I have sole custody of the oldest due to her father abusing her years ago when he had custody of her. The younger one has a deadbeat father who never met her (he was in the navy when i had her and lives on the opposite side of the country now). I have been considering filing for child support from both of their fathers. My question is, would they get visitations or some kind of custody if they do in fact pay child support? My oldest ones father liked to quit his job once the child support money starting coming out his checks. The younger ones dad just got in touch me(stupid facebook privacy changes) and already he has threatened that if i send my daughter to visit him, i wont get her back. So i'm kinda scared to get child support if their dads are gonna have the chance to be in their lives. I've tried to contact my county office but everything is pretty much automated and computerized at this point. I've sent emails but have yet to get a response.


Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • file for custody. just in case he can not keep her. its will be kidnaping. do not let them scare you. my dd dad said he was taking me to court for visitatiosn because i went for child support. that was in august. i have yet to hear anything about court. so they say things to scare us. that is what deadbeats do. its for your children. just think about it this way. some of the most difficult decisions are the right decisions to make. i struggled alot about going for support including being discouraged by my own family but i did it because it was in the best interest of the child. do it and do it now. they need to have it. why let them just walk away from their responsiblity. get everything in writing by a judge. speak to attorney if you ahve to if you are unsure. but i really do encourage you to do it. good luck

    Answer by lambdarose at 9:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Child support and visitation are two separate issues. The judge could order support and visitation or support without it depending on the circumstances. Support does not automatically mean visitation. Even if they don't pay, they technically can still get visitation.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 8:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Child support and visitation are two totally different things. I am ordered to pay child support on my seven year old son and i have not seen or talked to him in about a year. If the threat was in writting I would keep it to show to the judge just in case he tries to get visitation rights.

    Answer by bobbietrayer at 8:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • He has to take you back to court if they want visition. Yeah my childs father also quits his job everytime child support takes out money it stinks soooo bad and they said there is nothing they can do about it.

    Answer by Shannon706 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011