My 7 yr old may have a learning disability........

My daughter is behind a full year in school now. The school and us parents are doing everything to get her ahead. We discussed perhaps holding her back a year in second grade to catch up. If so we would put her in a different school next year so she wouldn't see her friends move on. This same day a teacher called and stated she thinks she has a learning disability. Has any other mom gone through this and what happened. How long did it take to find out and did your child ever catch up?

ljlM

Asked by ljlM at 3:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My youngest has learning disabilities. Request testing. Once they identify them they can map out strategies to help the child deal with them. My son has dyslexis, visual motor intergration problems, and visual perception disorder. One bitchy counselor once said in an IEP meeting that he would never get passed the 9th grade. I was livid..how dare she say that in front of him or Me for that matter. Anyway..I think it dug at him to the point he decided he was going to prove her wrong. He graduated from H.S. in 2004 (he sent that same counselkor an announcement and wrote on it "remember me bitch" I let him mail it too.) anyway..graduated from the Fire Academy and is nationaly certified with all 4 sealsin 2005, Graduated from EMT school2006. Same kid is getting married Sunday before Thanksgiving. Your child can overcome A LOT. Advocate for them, encourage them and nevewr, ever limit them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Both of my sons were almost held back in the first grade. But I refused to let them! The oldest was diagnosed with an Auditory Processing Disorder which was causing him problems with reading. He was caught up with his classmates in two years and is now 4 years ahead of his classmates! My 8 year old son was almost held back due to similar problems but, was never diagnosed with a learning disability. He is getting special help with reading but is making very good progress with just being taught in a different way. He should be caught up by the end of the year. Do your research online about the negative effects of retaining a child. I did and was amazed at what I found!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It is your RIGHT to have the school evaluate her for a learning disability a their expense! Take advantage of it!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son's KG teacher suggested that we get him evaluated for ADHD (which we did and he does have as well as Oppositional Defiant Disorder). He was held back in first grade. During his second grade year, he was also tested by the school psychologist to see if there may have been anything else going on (which there wasn't). He now has an IEP (individualized education plan) which has helped some. So what amydh posted is true, it is the school's responsibility to test your child for whatever they're suggesting may be a problem that interferes with her academic abilities/disabilities.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• ughh.sorry was in a hurry and should have spell checked. LOL
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2008