Bronchiolitis

My son was diagnosed with Bronchiolitis about two weeks ago (he's five months old). He was given amoxicillan and a nebulizer (breathing machine) with albuterol as the medicine. Just wondering if anyone else has had to use the breathing machine with albuterol to treat it. I was told that this will prevent asthma in the future.

rpetullo

Asked by rpetullo at 8:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't really prevent asthma. It will treat the condition at the present. It will actually help shrink the inflammation that is causing the present condition. But, it will not prevent the baby from having asthma in the future.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Oh yeah my oldest had bronchiolitis several times and had to be treated with a nebulizer. I have no idea whether or not it is linked to asthma.. he's 2 and a half now and hasn't had any breathing issues since he was about 14 months old.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 8:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I went through that with my son last winter. He actually got admitted cause it got alot worse. He still uses the neb. now. He has asthma. Hopefully someday he will grow out of it but he hasn't yet. I wish you luck with your son and hope he gets better soon!
    mommyof2_1989

Answer by mommyof2_1989 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thank you!!
    rpetullo

Comment by rpetullo (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011