has anyone had their tonsils taken out (as an adult lol)?

i ask specifically as an adult because children heal quicker than us old folks ;) anyway....i have had strep throat repeatedly (literally 8 times i can remember in about a 18 month period). twice it has been to the point that i could not swallow anything (not even my own spit....i had to spit into a cup. talk about disgusting). i went to the er the first time it got that bad because i didn't know what was going on and i was dehydrated not to mention burning up with fever. anyway, the ent dr. told me that if i keep getting it i will have to have my tonsils removed. i am really nervous even though i know it's a same day deal, but you have to go under general anesthesia and i have never done that before. i also didn't want to leave the kids with my mil that long (my husband will have to transport me there and back), but she is pretty much the only option for babysitting lol. so my question is...... has anyone got their tonsils out as an adult? was the surgery bad? how long before you got out of the hospital? and how long to fully recover? if it was for infection like mine is, then did it stop the problem? i have absolutely no other symptoms other than these tonsils that are disgusting, swollen and raw. i really hope someone can help me! thanks ladies!!!!

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Health

• DH did (27 years old), FIL did (I want to say he was about 58 at the time), my dad did (around 50). DH healed well & fast, and they did some other stuff with it too. FIL took a little longer, but he had a more major surgery than just the tonsils. My dad took a little longer because he's a HUGE baby when it comes to that stuff and he really babied himself. Honestly, would you rather do through the surgery, or deal with strep & other issues for longer? I'd opt for the surgery, the sooner the better! GL momma!
    Anonymous