anyone have a child that has verbal apraxia?

my son is 3 and has verbal apraxia. he has been going to speech therapy for almost 8 months now. it has nothing to do with his hearing or comprehension. it has all been tested and came out good. he has the words in him he just has trouble pronouncing and is often hard ot understand. i feel so bad for him. my 2 year old nephew talks better than my son. and it makes me sad. have u had any experience or success with this?

sweetestkitten

Asked by sweetestkitten at 8:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My little cousin has it. He turned 4 in Oct. The Dr. said he had a stroke right before or after birth.

His mom thought there was a problem since they have a dd 2 years older and they are very different. His dad refused to see a problem. He was 2.5 before they took him to see what was going on. Dad was still in denial so it took a little longer before he got help.

They said he may not talk, go to school, or ever be normal. They told not worry about potty training until at least school age. He has speech issues and motor skills problems. He was seeing speech, occupational, and physical theapist. His parents have put him in a private pre-school and they say they see a difference. He was potty trained a little before he was 4.

He didn't speak at all until he was 3. He used to grunt. His parents can understant some of his speech.. He points a lot.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 10:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My nephew does

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My granddaughter just turned 3 and is having an awful time. She is supposed to start Speech coming up. She had both her tonsils and adenoids out in November, so we were hoping that would help.. but bless her little heart... I can't understand much she says. I will look into that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Okay, that doesn't seem to fit her issue. It's tough though, not being able to understand them. I do empathize.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i just dont think his speech once a week is enough...i want him to be understandable by the time he goes to kindergarden. that is a year and a half away. i know ther eis no quick fix. but i am sad for him.
    sweetestkitten

Comment by sweetestkitten (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Dealing with a speech therapist now, and looking this up... but thinking my son is "normal" and I was just spoiled on first 2 being so advanced
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011