How much would you pay a babysitter?

My mom usually babysits for me for me. I also have a friend that helps me for free also (although Ihave paid her on occasion). Well my cousins friend is willing to babysit while I teach my classes whenever mymom can't do it. She was offering to babysit my 4 and 2 yr old for $20.00 per hour. I do not make that much, so this is expensive for me, but I want someone I can trust (I don't just leave my kids with anyone). Its not going to be a regular thing, so she is coming this friday while i teach since my mom can't do it. What do you think, is this what babysitters are charging now days?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Thats high I would charge $25 per day & work around your pay schedule see if she would go for that or even $20
    Anonymous

• yeah $20 per hour is a lot!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 8:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• HELL no. The daycare that my son goes to 30 hours a week only charges me $150 a week. Even for private care, once and awhile I would offer her $1-2 more than minimum wage, so in my area that would be 8 or 9 an hour. If she's not willing to work with you I would seek out a college student majoring in early childhood education or general education. Offer them references and the $1-2 more than minimum wage. I would never be able to afford $20/hour childcare- even if it's only once and awhile.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Ok....so I'mnot crazy then! I have no oneelse at the moment, and Icannot cancel my class....so for now thiswillhave to do :( I said ok,but in the back of my mind I was thinking "are you nuts!!!"
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That is way too much. I used to babysit for a friend. I watched him Monday through Friday from around 8 to 5. She paid me $100 a week. How many hours will she be watching your child?
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• OMG I would never pay $20.00 an hour. I only ever let my close relatives babysit for me. then some of them i wouldnt let babysit. i never ever let an outsider. i usually didnt need a babysitter. i liked to stay home with my kids. i was a stay at home mom.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 9:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• she's only watching them for 3 hours or so
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• wow! I just thought about it....thats $60.00!!! what am I going to do? Should I ask maybe to cut it to $40.00 total?
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Where did she come up with that price? When we get a babysitter for our three kids (ages 1, 3 and 4) we are usually gone for 3 to 4 hours and pay the sitter around $30, so about $10 and hour. I also have an in-home daycare and I charge $25 for a nine hour day for one child.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Explain to her that you really don't think that $20 is reasonable, or that you can afford it without putting yourself out. If she is a close friend I'm sure she'll be able to work with you- if it is in the evening offer to buy dinner (or have something made already) and feed her as well. I would ask if she could do $30, if she refuses offer $40, and simply tell her that you can't do more without having to cut back on something important (food, a late bill). Hopefully she'll be understanding!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011