Have you lost your taste for many things u enjoyed since u have Fibromyalgia?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 8:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Health

• I have an aunt who has Fibro and she has lost her taste for things. I am not sure if it the Fibro or her gall bladder surgery that had the effect on her.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• "taste for things"? You mean physical activities, or foods?

I'm nowhere near as active as I once was, and when I have a "good day" I pay for it for about a week. Presently I am taking myself off of Cymbalta, because it has lost its effectiveness, and is causing me weight gain which in turn makes my joint pain worse. Now I have 15 lbs to lose :(
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yes. I have noticed that since I've had Fibro. Obby, I take Cymbalta too. Will you let me know how it goes weaning yourself off? I'm actually afraid to, not sure how it would go. I'll be very interested to see.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• @ cbk- I've been doing it slowly, taking it every other day. starting tomorrow I will be going 2 days without it, taking it on the 3rd... I'll just say that I feel really fuzzy, even worse than when I first began taking it. Guess this is what detoxing feels like. I've been on it for over 6 months, and it simply stopped working. Its back to the ibuprofen for me :(
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I understand what you mean obby. I was on Lyrica for awhile. It helped the pain better, but the Cymbalta seems to help my thinking better, with the anti-depressant. I agree, the Ibuprofen works just as well. I really hope you get some relief.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I was taking the ibuprofen until it messed with my stomach. I was talking Cymbalta 60mg once a day. Now I take 2 in the morning and I feel great. I, like cbk mom3 feel it has not only helped with the pain but the depression, confusion, and thinking. I am also taking Gabapentin 100mg three times a day. This helps with the pain and inflammation. I also take Indomethacin ER 75 MG 1 capsule in the morning. The combination of the three have given me a lot of freedom to do things I haven't done in years. Plus going long hours without pain! Hope this helps you. If you're going off the Cymbalta, I hope you find something else like the Gabapentin that might help you...

WalknWithGod

Comment by WalknWithGod (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I haven't lost my physical taste for foods and such. But I have lost my ability to do and enjoy activites. I also have Psoriatic arthritis which I take humira for, but no improvement yet.

I just started Savella for my fibro today and had to get a disabled parking permit....ugh, and I'm only 25! lol but thats life.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Good for you, walknwithGod! So glad to hear you are doing well on your meds. It's always nice to find a combo that works. Hope you continue to have relief. That is awesome.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• tntmom, don't let ANYONE make you feel bad for using your parking placard! You have as much right to use the handicapped spaces as anyone. When I first got mine, I'd get dirty looks, because I don't "look" handicapped. I don't let it bother me anymore. I even heard some snide remarks, but if they walked in our shoes for even a day, they'd change that tune real quick.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm 23 and was diagnosed w/ Fibromyalgia 2 yrs ago...but it took me almost 2 yrs to finally get a doctor to listen to me about the pain/issues i was having. I have DEFINITELY lost my taste for things. But again it depends on what you mean by taste. I used to enjoy all kinds of activities, and now I'm in pain just SITTING. It's the most depressing thing in the world to be in pain all the time. I want to seclude myself from friends/family at times because I hate them seeing how much pain i'm in.

I tried Lyrica, Cymbalta, and one other as well that i can't remember the name of. I didn't like the way i felt on them so quit. I use ibuprofen and muscle creams to minimize the pain as much as possible. I try my best to not stop doing anything i enjoyed before the Fibromyalgia, but its MUCH more painful so the enjoyment just isn't there.
    momofbeauty07

Answer by momofbeauty07 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011