How can each doctor have a different number on your dialation in cms?

Doctor 1 closed, 2 hrs later 3 cms, stayed 3 cms for 1 week, next week 4 cms, next week 1 cm?????? What's that? Don't tell me things go back, because I know better.

b_stotka

Asked by b_stotka at 9:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Different sized hands.....just avoid vaginal checks,....they're useless anyway.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree different sized hands will come up with different numbers.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Well you shouldn't be getting checked quite so often unless there is a medical reason for it. Yes you can undilate especially under stress. Also it is a guestimate and each person guesses differently. I refused internal exams and this is one of the many reasons.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yes your cervix can go from 3 to 1. is there a reason you are getting checked so much? i'm assuming preterm labor maybe? gl!
    Anonymous

• Actually after multiple pregancies the cervix does indeed undialate, It becomes stretchy and when pressure is down on the cervix the exam will indicate you are dialated more. It happened to me quite often. I was more closed when I was off my feet.It's also that Nurses/doctors interpretation of dialation. It doesn't mean you are going into labor anyway. I was at 5cm for two months.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• LOL the doc told me i was 6 well the nurse had just checked me so when the doc said that after he left she said :do you mind if i check you again i didnt feel 6 and i have no idea how he thinks its 6" i just laughed and said go for it, i couldnt feel anything anyways i had already had my epidural. i sure didnt want anyone dragging things on longer. in the end what the doc says goes. but if your getting more than one doc that saying that then its hand size.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• The doc isn't going in there with a tape measure.

The baby can shift. The bladder can be full. So many things can change the way it feels in there.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Really? I get a vote down for personal experience and sharing info from a doctor and three nurses? Guess it wasn't what you wanted to hear huh?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011