• In the Spotlight:

What do you do when your SO doesn't want to tell anyone your pregnant?

aprill1984

Asked by aprill1984 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• How far along are you?
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 9:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• 12 weeks.
    aprill1984

Comment by aprill1984 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I would find out the reason why he doesn't want anyone to know if you haven't already and then go from there. Besides everybody's going to figure it out in a few months anyway, he can't hide it forever.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• how long does he not want to tell anyone? i mean if he wants to wait until its born thats too long but i think if he wants to wait until maybe 15 weeks that sounds reasonable. but i dont know the reasons he doesnt want to tell, for me it would be to make sure im past the risk of miscarriage (well past the majority of the risk anyway)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If he doesn't want to tell them after 12 weeks then I would have a problem with it!! Maybe if you tell everyone in a cute way like sending out a post card with the ultrasound pic on it (you can make one on vistaprint.com) that says: New Addition To Our Family Arriving 12-12-11 or whenever your due date is!
    My friends hubby was scared just to tell everyone to their face & that fixed it. Also, most of the family that it was cute :) A modern idea to announce a pregnancy! GL!
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 9:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I would ask him why.

My mom was very uncomfortable about talking up pregnancies before 3mo, because of how many miscarriages happen before that. I don't think she's alone in not wanting to tell everyone that got told, in the event...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He keeps saying he wants to wait til we are showing. But I am a very little girl and am already starting to show since I am so tiny I don't know if he wants to wait because at the moment we are fixing up our apartment and staying with his parents but I keep telling him to at least let them know I feel weird staying there not being able to tell them that we are pregnant and having to hide my doctor appointments and sonograms.
    aprill1984

Comment by aprill1984 (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think it's something that you should be able to compromise on. Maybe you can just tell family but not friends or something. I would be pretty upset about it myself.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 9:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My husbands family thinks that you jinx the pregnancy by telling anyone before 12 weeks so we didn't. He might also be trying to plan a surprise to tell them in a special way. You really need to talk to him and find out why not just when.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Maybe he wants to wait until you two are in your own place so he feels more like he is providing a home for his baby and you, instead of still living with his parents? It could just be a pride thing but chances are his mom has already noticed so don't be surprised if she is not shocked! lol Come up with a compromise in time and point out that your tummy won't wait long!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011