4 year old repeats everything she hears..

My 14 year old daughter and 16 year old son fight like cats and dogs sometimes. Well, my daughter thought it would be funny to call my son Gayson (his name is Treyson). Now my 4 year old daughter, who of course repeats everything she hears, calls him Gayson. She think it's just hilarious. I explained that calling his Gayson wasn't nice and that if I heard it, she'd be put in time out. But my son, who babysits after school til I get home, still complains that she's saying it. Having teenagers around this little girl is not always a good thing. We were in walmart one time, and she was in the cart, and every once in a while when we passed someone, she'd say fuck or some other inappropriate word. I know she didn't learn it from my hubby or I, because we don't cuss. How do you get your children to stop repeating what they hear? It's never been a big issue with my others. And also, what are some things your children have said that you were surprised to hear and wondered how they learned that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well she is obviously copying your older kids, like normal younger siblings do. And if your 4 yr old is going to repeat everything, redirect. Make your older kids say things in front of her that are nice and harmless. Make them say nice things to each other like gobbly gook, or funny bunny. Not only she repeat these words and forget the bad ones (we hope!) but your older kids are gonna be so upset at having to spend their afternoon doing this they might actually watch what they say from now on. :) killing two birds with one stone is always the way to go hehe.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 9:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I would tell her that just because they say it does not mean she can repeat them and I would keep putting her in time out or something like that when she does it , hopefully she will eventually get the message and not do it anymore. And also it might help to talk to the older two and explain to them whats happening and see if you can get them to tone it down a bit.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It would have worked better to make neutral, bored comments, and ignore her parroting behaviour. If she's doing it for attention, her success rate is standing at 100%. Yay.

'That's not very smart' is a good response to swearing for attention (well, and a lot of other anti-social attention-seeking behaviour)... but one really effective way I've found to put kids right off swearing is to ask them what, specifically, about that body part/sexual act they wanted to talk about, since they brought it up.

I would suggest, though, that the real issue in your home is allowing your older children to become enemies. There are 6 billion people in the world who will never know or care about either of them --live or dead, happy or sad-- and currently they are doing their level best to add their sibling to that number.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my 3 year old is a sponge!! he knows every word in the book plus some! i am a sahm and i dont cuss, my hubby does. we have started telling him that its a "big kid" word or a "mommy and daddy" word. if he keeps doing it, we tell him that we'll spank his mouth, a very light pat that just gets his attention. Try creating a cuss jar, whoeve gets cought cussing has to put so much money in. tell your daughter that if she heas a bad word to make them put money in it. When there's enough, use it for a movie or something that everyone will enjoy.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• This is hard - but how are you going to tell her she can't call her brother Gayson, when her older sister does it? Or not cuss, if both her older siblings do that too?

I had a much younger sister when I was a teenager. My brother & I were told in no uncertain terms that we were to set a good example for her. We both adored her & were very protective. I can honestly say we never swore in front of her or fought (very much or seriously) around her.

Two teenagers and a four year old! You have your hands full!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2011