OPK's adult content

Can you rely on your cervical mucus signs as well as the OPK results to confirm when you are approaching ovulation? I ask this b/c I have read on some of the responses here that OPK's might not be reliable after a m/c due to our bodies being 'out of whack' for weeks to months.
As I have m/c recently, I am wondering when I should start using OPK's again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I wouldn't use OPKs at all. They are inaccurate to begin with and they are SUPER inaccurate after a miscarriage because LH can linger.

The best thing to do is chart cervical mucus and cervical position. Have intercourse any time your CM and CP are at a fertile stage. Chart BBT to confirm. BBT can be somewhat irractic at first and can be difficult until after the first period returns. Then it should be normal.

To maximize your chances have sex when you have fertile mucus and a high, soft & open cervix. This MAY happen more than once as your body gears up to ovulate but since you don't know when the real thing is going to happen just have intercourse to be safe.

Everytime you have the fertile CM and CP consider that the start of your two week wait and do not take a test until the 2 weeks is up.

Keep that up until you either get your period or a positive test.

If you get AF go back to traditional charting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• The reason OPKs aren't reliable after a miscarriage is because the hormone they detect, LH, is very similar to the pregnancy hormone hCG. So similar, in fact, that OPKs will pick up on hCG and give you a positive if it senses enough of it (thus the reason they can be used as a secondary pregnancy test, as well -- but this is not reversible, HPTs only detect hCG). So after a miscarriage, when you have lingering hCG, it can give you false positives on OPKs. I would wait at least 6 weeks after the M/C before you start using OPKs again.

And because your hormones are still out of whack, you might not get a reliable reading on CM, either. But at least with CM you would know your own body's patterns and notice any changes that occur. I would also recommend charting BBT so you know for sure when you do ovulate. If nothing else, that way you'll know when your period is going to start back.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Thanks girls :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011