Pacificers and nursing....HELP please!!

So i just got home from the hospital Our baby is two days old and nursing like a champ...he is a very cranky baby due to gas. He really likes to just suck....what do you think about me introducing a pacifier this early? Should I stay totally away from it or if I introduce it early enough do you think that he will be okay going between the two?

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's up to you, but personally I would try not to.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• babys have a natural instinct to suck, thats what my OB said, if you introduce a pacifier it will allow your child to suck without breastfeeding all the time. The only thing i really suggest is that the pacifiers with alot of holes create more gas so find the pacifiers with two small holes at the most. I learned that the hard way :)
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 9:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• oh and i gave my baby a pacifier the day after he was born and he was fine
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 9:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• All three of mine had a pacifier from day one and had no problems with breastfeeding. So if you are comfortable with it, go ahead.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I personally wouldn't but that is because it is so hard to get them off of the pacifier in the future. I would just continue to do what you are doing. BTW congratulations on your new bundle of joy.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I nursed all of my children and also gave them a pacifier by the time they were 5 months old they no longer needed the pacifier it does not ruin nursing, even nurses give babies pacifiers right after they are born.

Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 9:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Personally, I would wait until 2-3 weeks old.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It is recommended not to introduce any artificial nipple until about 4-6 weeks old for a couple reasons. One is nipple confusion, but pacifiers are not too bad as far as that, but 2 is because at this young you are still establishing supply and the more they suckle the more supply you will have. It may seem like he isn't actually nursing, but there is a biological reason for it. At 2 days old you likely haven't gotten your milk in yet either and not putting the baby to breast may cause supply issues in the future.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If you plan to use ecological breast feeding to help with birth spacing then no pacifiers ever.

Some children don't like them no matter how early you introduce. It is also good for your milk supply to allow the baby to suck without eating at the breast.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I used the pacifier with my 3rd and 4th sons and they still BF just fine. My 4th son weaned himself from the paci just a few weeks ago and he is 8months old. Research also shows that use of the paci may reduce the risk of SIDS. I think it is totally a personal choice to use a paci, and my 3rd and 4th sons would have used me as a personal pacifier if i would have let them. It is a natural instinct for babies to suck. I also agree that is is good for baby to be put up to the breast as often as you can at first to get your supply going.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011