Breastfed newborn with gas....please help asap.

Our little guy has the worse gas ever....he is in a lot of pain from it. he is not even 2 days old yet. Anyone else have a newborn with gas this young? What did you do to help?

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• See if there is a co-relation between something you are eating and his gas??
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Hmmm, you can put him on him back and gently move his legs in a bicycle motion. Sometimes that will relieve gas.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I cant remember the exact name may start with an m but they are gas drrops, worked wonders when my so was an inffant, I was never without it
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Beans, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Caffeine, Cauliflower, Citrus Fruits, Corn, Dairy Products, Eggs, Hot Peppers, Iron Supplements, Medicines, Onions, Peanuts, Shellfish, Soy and Tofu, Spicy Food, Tomato, Wheat.....some of the foods to watch when nursing. They can cause gas.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• And the drops are Mylicon Infant Drops.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• As namaste mentioned try bicycling his legs to help releive it. I would also look very carefully at your diet to see if you have eaten any gassy foods. I also heard about spelling LOVE on the stomachs in a massage motion to help releive the gas pains. Do you eat dairy? It is not uncommon for babies to have issues with what mom is eating and dairy is a big one as well as gassy foods.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I couldn't eat dairy with my second when I was breastfeeding due to it causing him problems like that
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i totally agree with the above check your diet so see if you cant change a few things and for the immediate time do bicycle exercises and you can also bring his knees up to his chest as you do it. give a few minutes and he will be tooting away. i did that with both my kids and within 3 or 4 minutes are were tooting away. you could also try a warm towel on his belly as well.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• When do you see your pediatrician? I had this problem w/ my son when he was an infant (same age) and it turned out he had a dairy sensitivity. I cut out dairy & the gas pains stopped immediately. This was the first thing my doctor told me to cut out - apparently it is very common. Sorry you & your little guy are going through this :(

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's not your diet. He is 2 days old. Babies get really excited and are still confused about how to nurse at first. He is sucking in air while he is eating. This is a phase and it will pass.

Bicycle his legs. Hold him upright against you after feedings. You can use a wrap to hold him up in a kangaroo care position. It is good for his breathing and getting the gas up.

Also, the sphincters are not fully developed when they are first born. Some babies have a good bit of drama when passing gas. Love on him. It'll get better. It's a hard adjustment learning to eat on your own.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011