I really need help

Please someone tell me I am not the only that has gone through this and if so what did you do to stop your child from doing it?

My son is 15 and a half months old and for 2 weeks now, if he is told no or to stop something he screams and kicks and then starts banging his head on a wall or floor, I immedietly stop it, but the next chance he gets he starts doing it again. He is starting to bite as well. I expected the tantrums and biting when he was closer to 2 years old but at 15 months and the head banging? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 3:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The "terrible twos" start anywhere after the first birthday so he is actually right on track.

I suggest you get a thick cushion of some type (I use a thick non-skid rug backing and a small area rug) and use it as a "timeout / calm down" spot. When he starts to throw a fit, carry him to the spot and leave him there. Stay nearby so you can make sure he stays put and to make sure he doesn't really hurt himself but other than that, do NOT talk to him or really look at him. Pretend to read a book or write a shopping list. Once he is fully calm, pick him up and hug him. Tell him "I'm glad you calmed down. I know it makes you mad when mommy takes things away. Somethings can hurt you. Let's find something you CAN play with." Then reward his calm behavior by playing with him for a few minutes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Ok thank you, I was really worried esp about the head banging, it's to the point he's screaming and I am crying (I am 7 and a half months pregnant and getting up and down isn't too easy for me). I will try your suggestion
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 4:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son John used to bump his head on the wall all the time too. Guess what it was? He had migranes! The dr told me that! I had to wait till he was older got on meds for his headaces. the banging stopped. He might have a headace. also stroke his temples helps with the pain. and it will quit him down some
    kathy067j

Answer by kathy067j at 4:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2008