Quaker parrots beak is way over grown. Anyone know what I can do?

My friend gave me a rice finch and a quaker parrot. Both had very over grown beaks. The finch died the day after she gave it to me. My fiance and I have been trimming the parrots beak about once a month. It keeps growing back. Is there anyway to stop it and why is it doing this? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pets

• The parrot needs to be seen by a vet to have the toenails and beak trimmed.Yes the beak and nails continue to grow throughout the parrot's life.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You need to take the parrot to the vet. There is probably an underlying issue causing the problem. If it isn't filed down properly it will continue to grow . Make sure you have a large cuttle bone, and sand paper perches. Parrots need to chew. If it begins to flake, you need to take it to a vet. That's usually a vitamin deficiency.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i always made my husband trim them, yuk,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 11:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2011