Is it possible for a blood test read negative for pregnancy??

I had a blood test done yesterday, and the dr said it was neg. but i am over week late, and starting to have symptoms. The dr told me if i dont start my cycle by end of the month to come back and get another test. Is it possible that I am pregnant and the test is wrong??

DublTrublMommy

Asked by DublTrublMommy at 9:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Blood test are usually very accurate.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• a blood test is 100% accurate. it can tell if you are a couple days pregnant. by a missed period you are about 4 weeks. you're not pregnant
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• if you are trying to get pregnant you can go into hysterical pregnancy. you convince yourself that your pregnant and your body responds to that
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• ok, then why would the dr tell me to come back for another?? a friend told me that it could be to early for the test to be 100%. they said it has happened to them, and that the hormone is there just not enough to give a 100% is that possible??
    DublTrublMommy

Comment by DublTrublMommy (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• YUP! mine did in november, but a week later it was positive. they said i was probably testing to early the first time.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 9:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No, she's lying. Well if she was tested like a few days after conception I can see how that can happen but they are very accurate.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I had a blood test done before my missed period and it was negative and then 1 to 2 weeks after my missed period they did another one and it was positive you should try taking a urine test and if that comes back negative well your probably not pregnant .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Why would I lie about something like that? better yet, why would you accuse me of lying, than follow with well maybe if she did it to early, which is exactly what I said!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 7:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• They are usually pretty accurate, HOWEVER there is always an exception to the rule. Case in point my BFF since second grade has an irregular cycle so missing one month was not unusual. She took a test and it was negative. She still felt off after a week and the doctor did a blood test and it was negative. By the next month still no cycle. 3 urine tests and another blood test all negative. Well here comes the third month and still no cycle. 4 more urine and two more blood draws all negative. She sees a specialist who does yet another blood test and it is negative, but he also does an ultrasound. Ultrasound show a fetus 12 weeks and three days gestation with a healthy heartbeat. No need for anymore tests. Some women just don't produce any more HCG than necessary to maintain the fetus. So YES it is possible for them to be wrong, it is just not common. Which is why you were asked to come back if you don't start your cycle.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes it can happen . I have a friend with a similar story to 2autisticsmo.
    Prayforblessing

Answer by Prayforblessing at 1:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011