My grandson hates men dating his mom. He's mean to them. What can she do?

My best buddy and grandson hates when his mom dates. He is 12 yrs old. We don't know why but he doesnt want anyone near her. He calls the men names and yells at his mom in front of them. Most guys run for the hills. Any suggestions what to do? we have talked to him and even took him to a counselor that said he didnt have a problem. thans

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Honestly, it's probably because those men aren't his father. He's probably scared of another man taking the place of his dad. Besides, what child doesn't want to see both there biological parents together. Maybe for starters she can not bring men around that she dates, until she know's its something serious and long term. 2nd. when she does decide to introduce them, make sure its in a fun nice setting, dinner? put put? swimming? (of course weather permitting lol) When my mom used to date, I would get SO angry, to the point I cried, I would ignore them when they tried to talk to me, but eventually I GOT OVER IT, because my mom deserves to be happy! hes only 12...he'll understand soon. best of luck to you all
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• She probably shouldn't bring a man around him unless it's a serious relationship. That's got to be very emotionally threatening.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• She should wait until they are serious before bringing them around her son.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That's funny. heatherann says the same thing and gets voted up. I swear I have a vote down stalker tonight.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• the therapist is right. It´s normal teenage boy behaviour... especially if mom has been "single" (as in not living with Dad nor any other man)... he sees her as "his"... and is establishing his territory... is it ok? No, it´s not, but it IS normal
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 11:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• musicmom80 I think it is because you have a way of saying things that are kinda of not nice. i dont know who down voted but ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• "them" - how many of them are there?

It may be a 12 year old boy sees himself as the man of the house and to have a few different men being nice to Mom - may be too much for the kid to handle. He may be looking for a father figure. He may get like one and then poof he's gone. I would hold of introducing any more of "them" to him until Mom gets it narrowed down to 1 for a long term relationship - not saying marriage but saying when they become committed to each other and not dating others.
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011