How can I get off sugar? Really!

Some how through the years I have become addicted to sugar. I just realized how bad when I looked in my trash can full of yoohoo, apple juice and other drink containers. Oh yes, I can't forget the Dr.Pepper! I also saw pudding snack pack containers, candy wrappers, tea bags (lots of sugar in it), cookie boxes and so on. Does anyone else have this problem and can you really get addicted to sugar? How do I get off it. Do they have a sugar rehab? Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Health

• I think that they should have a sugar rehab. I'm right along with you, I drink to much soda and to much sugary snacks. I am going to try a detox program. At least a weekend but maybe an extended week detox(nothing real drastic like only lemon or something) just completely cut our sugar and anything else I hope to get rid of. And hopefully after the first week it will be a lot easier to give up.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's possible to literally be addicted to sugar. There's a show on TV (strange addictions) and the son's mom was addicted to sugar!!!!! I guess first you have to get down to the root of the problem, why do you like sugar so much? The mother's problem was because that's how she comforted her son when he came to visit her....heck, maybe u just really like sugar for no reason besides it taste good LOL!!! (i wish u wouldnt have mentioned dr.pepper im trying to glue myself to the couch so i dont go grab one lol) maybe u can try googling long term effects sugar has on ur body/teeth? and TALK TO UR DOC! he can help u out.

goodluck! (=
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I thought it was just me and old age of 52. I lately will not eat anything that has a lot of sugar in it. I won't eat cookies or candy becasue once I start, I can't stop. It's been tough.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I used to eat fast food all the time in high school. When I entered college, I made a promise to stop eating fast food due to all the negative effects it has on the human body and health. Seven years later, I still have not stepped into a fast food joint to eat (nor driven through the drive-thru). On the occasion when I have been served fast food type food, I actually get sick and feel awful for a whole day. I feel better about my health today then I did in high school, knowing I am not putting toxins into my body. Sugar is not necessarily bad for you, but when you consume as many sweet products as you are suggesting, you are putting yourself at a serious risk of developing diabetes. You do not want to live a life with diabetes!! Make a deal with yourself. Throw out the sweet things in your home. Save sweets for a special treat or dessert. You can't cut all sweets out of your life. Be choosy about the ones you have.
    mamaluvwine

Answer by mamaluvwine at 10:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I KNOW i AM ADDICTED TO SUGAR. THEY SAY SUGAR IS LIKE A DRUG. I'M FORCING MYSELF TO CUT DOWN ON IT. WHEN I HAVE SUGAR CRAVINGS, EATING A FRESH APPLE, ORANGE, fresh grapes, strawberries, kiwi, bananas, chef salad . HELPS ME. PLUS i CUT DOWN ON # OF CUPS OF COFFEE AND HOT TEA,chew sugarless gum.I notice less my sugar intake, the better I feel. I also am craving more healthy foods. it is hard for me but i'm sticking to it. plus I am weening off of zoloft also at same time. sorry about the caps letters. accidentially bumped cap lock key. this post isn;t any anger. have any suggestions for me that u try?
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You just don't buy it. Period. No access means no sugar.

Buy a box of clementines. When you crave sugar, eat fruit. You will save so much money eating bananas and clementines and you will lose weight and feel better.

Sugar IS an addictive substance. Here is the tough love part: If you dont get a handle on it now you could end up with type 2 diabetes. Look at your feet. Do you like having feet? Imagine losing one or both of them to diabetes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i also eat more kinds of vegtables and white meats. i like to drink flavored water. love propel .mountain dew soda has the most sugar. more than pepsi
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• scares me to see my dad suffer with diabetis. he takes pills and insulin shots. he's 63 i'm 41
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thank you all. It is scary to hear about the diabetes. I thought it was hereditary. I have no for diamondsarecool. sorry.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It is an addiction. Your body craves it, you get a little high off of it when you have it. The bad part is, yes, it is unhealthy for you. If you stop eating it, you will stop craving it. So, a few days of cravings, and you're off. Then if you do eat it, it won't' taste the same and you won't like it as much. Don't eat any food if sugar is listed in the first 5 ingredients either, that's a high sugar content.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011