I have a shopping problem I need help to stop. Anyone know how? :)

I am on a fixed income and when I get my social security I always pay my bills, but then I spend the rest on pretty things for the house, gifts, clothes, etc. I never have a penny to my name. I even have to cook my food to feed my pets at the end of the month. I will go without gas in my car for a week or two. I know this is a real problem but can't help myself. Can someone tell me how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Health

• They have shopping anonymous. Something like AA but for shoppers. Maybe look into that. Or freeze all of your credit cards or cut them up.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• oh you will stop when you're in debt and can't pay a bill...or two or three lol! and the bills keep adding up, and one day you don't have food in your house because you decided to buy that pretty shirt on the rack for 100$ (god forbid u buy a shirt that much lol) or you have an emergency and need to leave but theres no gas in your car. or when you buy stuff and find urself returning it because u need the money for something more important

GOODLUCK !!!!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I feel for you, I was on the verge of having the same problem myself once up on a time.
    take mommy of two388 advice, best to try and get help
    Anonymous

• Turn to God, when you feel empty, sad, lonely. Pray and read your bible (if you're Christian) We women get down, and think we'll feel better when we get something new. It helps us not think about our problems or our loneliness while we look for that special treasure. You are normal! At least this is your problem and it's not horrible drugs or something worse. But it probably feels yucky just the same so I hope you get help, God bless you!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If you truly feel it is an addiction that is affecting your life (it causes you anxiety to think about *not* doing it) then you need to seek therapy in order to stop. They will help you figure out your triggers and find other ways to deal with your problems.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Jan. 20, 2011