if you have ADD/or ADHD whatever it is.

how do you control it? i have it and my mind seems to wonder alot im not very alert and people around me walk all over me because im not very attentive ..soo my question is whats your symptoms and how do you control them ? with meds, control it mentally .. or what ? i need to be more attentive and no matter how hard i try im just soo "duuhh" all the time. Thanks =)

and please dont give me smart ass remarks, its not needed

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Health

• I was just diagnosis with it and they gave me meds. It's only day 2 on the meds and so far no change.
    I have to write down EVERYTHING or I will forget. If I think I;m going to go get a glass of water by the time I get to to the kitchen I wonder why I went there in the first place, sad and pathetic, I know. :( Good Luck. I will bump this and hope you get the answer you need.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• ADD and ADHD are both quite different. If you have either one, you really need to speak to a doctor on how to help things, as every person is different.
    Selena

Answer by Selena at 10:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I don't have it, but a friend of mine controls his completely with diet.

He eats an alkaline diet that is 70% raw (fruits and veggies). No refined foods. No caffeine. No alcohol. No tobacco. No junk. Nothing from a box or can.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• A book that helped (I have read many)me the most was Delivered from Distraction, by John M. Ratey. I felt like he wrote a book about ME! You have to understand you condition. You have to be able to recognize it when it's showing so you can take control. It's not easy, and sometimes I do take meds. As of now I am not. YOu may want to try something while you get to know ADD and get a handle on it. It isn't easy. My head is a mess some days. Even if music in a store is quiet it's all I hear, my mind doesn't shut off, racing thoughts, random messes in my home, etc. Get bored easy too. If you ever need to talk hit me up!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My grown so now 28 was diagnosed at 7. We tried all of it. Diet made minimal difference, behavior therapy helped a tiny bit..what really made the difference was meds. I was very reluctant to put a 7 yr old on meds. On all the testing he was so far off the charts they had no scale. I agreed to try the meds for 1 weeks. 3 days later I called the Dr and told him to write the full script. Suddenly he could sit still. He could get through homework. He could stand still and look at me when I was talking to him. A pill isn't the only answer though. His medication helped him to focus enough that we could work on behavior modifications and be successful. He came back home in April aftter throwing away 7 yrs of his life and losing his kids because he suddenly decided he didn't need meds anymore. He can't make a good decision without them to save his life. He is back on meds. In college and making A's & B's
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• *son
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I swear I have a vote down stalker tonight. I've only been dealing with this for my entire life. My son has it too.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Nicley said GrnEyedGrandma!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's nice to see answers. When I asked last week I didn't get very many answers. So I'm stealing your answers OP :)
    I have a stalker as well musicmom, i keep getting vote down on some pretty dumb post.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That book is amazing, seriously! I'm not into self help books, but this one was amazing. It helped me to understand what makes me tick! There is so much valuable information in it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011