I need thirty de-cluttering tips!

I'm going to take your best tips, and do one a day for a month, to see if I can get through all this clutter in my house! I want to get out my Christmas ornaments, but it's just so sad, with all the junk in my house!!! Here's what I need...the tips have to be FREE, they have to be FAST, and I need to be able to accomplish them ALONE.

tracywillard

Asked by tracywillard at 4:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Start with 2 large trash bags. Fill them both with old newspapers, magazines, junk mail that doesn't require shredding. If you have shredding that needs to be done, do that and empty into the bags.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My number one tip and the motto I live by when de-cluttering: If you haven't used it in the last year and it's not memorabilia from a life event (wedding, christening, graduation etc) then you probably don't need it. Some one else may, so I give a lot of things to charitable organizations.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Go through the kids' toys and get rid of anything that they don't play with, is broken, or is missing pieces. That will do wonders.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I love flylady.net for decluttering tips. Here is one.
    The 27-Fling Boogie

We do this assignment as fast as we can. Take a garbage bag and walk through your home and throw away 27 items. Do not stop until you have collected all 27 items. Then close the garbage bag and pitch it. DO NOT LOOK IN IT!!! Just do it.

Next, take an empty box and go through your home collecting 27 items to give away. Suze Orman taught me this in her book, The Courage to be Rich. This will change the energy in your home and bring about good feelings. Every time I do this I feel better and my home is becoming decluttered in the process. As soon as you finish filling the box, take it to the car. You are less tempted to rescue the items.

Rule of thumb: if you have two of any item and you only need one, get rid of the least desirable.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Sentimental valuables that you never use like that old teddys, pictures you don't want to throw out (but have no space for), hospital stuff, scrapbooks, etc. need to be stored in a thin storage box or drawer that can be rolled under a bed or sofa. Label all boxes with label tape and don't have any misc or etc labels. Dont put anything in a box not labeled for that item type.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• here is a link to more flylady declutter tips!
    http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Decluttertips.asp
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I go through one room at a time. Nething that i can get rid of i part with. I throw away the easy stuff first like papers, magazines . . . Then move to the next pile and go from there. If i havn't used it in the last six months to a year I toss it. I take everything that is still useable to a place that resales donated stuff cheaper or to the salvation army. It's just a process of eliminating one pile at a time. If you can't part with it then go through and put it where it goes (which is one of my biggest problems) or if you can put it away in a box until after xmas then you can put it back when xmas is over.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 4:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Get rid of all the extra kitchen appliances, pans, dishes, etc. that you never use and that are just cluttering up the cabinets and counter space. Either donate it or sell it on ebay!
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Thanks ladies! I decluttered 8 kitchen cupboards...threw away a whole garbage bag full of junk, put at least four large bags full of garage sale items away for a sale in the spring, and I feel like I'm off to a good start!
    tracywillard

Answer by tracywillard at 10:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I take all my magazine that I already have read & drop them off in the waiting room at the hospital near my home. There's never enough good stuff to read in waiting rooms!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2008