Damn, I guess chivalry is dead after all...

I am 42 years old and I haven't been dating since 1987 when I got married. My DH is a true gentleman so I thought chivarly was alive!

My 22-yr-old daughter came over today and she was telling me how she met that guy she liked but..... he wasn't exactly dreamy!

My daughter is very proud and she didn't go out with him to get a free meal, but she still expected him to at least try to get the bill! He didn't.. And then when they were walking to her car they got attacked and instead of protecting her he run off and left her there with their attacker!!! Thankfully my DD is a karate black belt haha!!

So is it just that one guy, or is chivalry really dead?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Chivalry is not dead in my house, my sons, 20 & 24, treat their girlfriends like queens. Sounds like your daughter chose a boy to go out with not a man. I'm so glad she's o.k. though! She should have chased her date down & used some of that black belt on him!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Wow, Im 22 and have NEVER been treated so badly! I mean I don't think its all that alive but I at least get doors opened for me. I never expect a guy to pay but unless they stated that they don't have the money before we go out they at least offer, that guy is just a looser!
    MissLi

Answer by MissLi at 11:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Who asked who on the date? If she asked him she should pay, if he asked her he should pay. As for the last part, chivalry is one thing, cowardice is another. For him to run off like that shows his character (or lack thereof), I'm guessing he won't be getting a second date.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Chivalry is not dead, but, sadly, it is not practiced like it once was. Tell your daughter to be more careful in her date selection in the future, although I suppose one could pose as a gentleman just to get a free meal.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I hope your DD is okay. Chivalry isn't dead, there are guys still out there that will foot the bill and not run away from an attacker and leave his date there...that must have been awful! I don't mind paying either. That second part just kind of left me dumbfounded though.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 11:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's not dead...but its fading...FAST!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Unbelievable!
    Well, I suppose he showed his true colors. That guy is not a keeper. Some guys will still pay. In fact, I was shocked a guy bought me a glass of champagne at the bar the other night. I was waiting for my husband and told the guy so. He didn't care. But, he was 40!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I say, first date, he asks out, he pays. After that, they can split it. That is what I expect and I wouldn't date a man that didn't offer--because I want that kind of guy...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• what an eye opening experience for your dd! for the rest of her single life she will now look for an aspect that many would not even think of! maybe it was a blessing in disguise! i hope your daughter is ok!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think the man should always pay, or at least OFFER to pay for the first date. I guess I'm old-fashioned. By him not paying for the bill, it shows how cheap he is. And about the mugging-he's a jerk. Tell her to dump the bum.
    Anonymous