Any mothers out there who have children with Alopecia?

My 12 year old (soon to be 13) Has Alopecia. He has two big bald or thinning spots on his head at all times. He has thick hair everywhere else. If its long its not so noticeable but he has curly hair so it doesnt grow nice. When we cut it you can really tell the thin spots. Anyone have any advice on this. Its been about two years now but it still feels new.

JennyJenny529

Asked by JennyJenny529 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My mom has Alopecia Universalise, so she has almost no hair at all on her body (not eye lashes or eyebrows). It started off as just bad spots on her head and she was getting steroid shots in her scalp for it, but eventually that didn't even work about 10 years ago the rest of her hair fell out and then all over her body. I am really sorry you and your son are going through this, I can tell you as the child of someone who has it, it is difficult to watch. I guess you could try some styling product to try to get the hair to kind of stay put, and talk to your doctor about preventive care. I would hope that in this day and age they have found something that has better results. Good luck to you both.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My friends son has this he is 3 years old. The ped doctor said that it was because he was sick and this is what the immune system did. They said this is very common. He did have to have blood work done and everything is ok. His hair is growing back little by little. His hair fell out all at once.
    Anonymous

• My sons hair fell out for the first time in October of 2009. Its grown back and fell out numerous times since then. They say its an autoimmune disorder. A barber once told us that it was also intensified by stress. I wondered what my kid could be stressed about but I guess the situation itself is enough to stress over. Then school.
    JennyJenny529

Comment by JennyJenny529 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• A friend's adult daughter has Alopecia, which type I'm not sure. But it left her completely bald. She experimented with her diet and found that going completely vegan has helped tremendously. It has helped more than the steroid shots.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• A lady who found my questions on Google Buzz emailed me this website and I joined it right away. www.alopeciaworld.com. Please pass it on to all your friends who are strugglilng with this. It looks like a great support site!
    JennyJenny529

Comment by JennyJenny529 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011