making kids mind

I am in a fight with my dh right now. He wants to children to be punished, if needed. He wants me to be the one doing it all the time. He wants to look like the good dad. I'm sorry, that's not gonna cut it. I have talked with him til I'm really just tired of talking, it's not getting us anywhere anyway. What can I tell him to make him understand that I don't want to look like the bad guy all the time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• Go get the family photos where the kids all look like him. Say, "See? They are YOUR children too. You have to buck up and be the daddy lion sometimes and growl at the cubs."

Its a partnership. He has to do his half.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You could attempt to not punish the kids for one day and tell him that you just wanted to see what it was like to be him for a day. Or you could find a reason to leave for a full day so he could feel the full weight of parenting.
    aktink91

Answer by aktink91 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Has it always been this way? No parent wants to look like the bad guy, but sometimes you just have to. I say whoever sees what happens should be the one to punish. If you see it happen, you should punish. If he sees something happen, then he punishes. Life isn't always fair, and he should know that. He just needs to step up to the plate.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• How about explaining that kids crave boundaries and by NOT disciplining them he's confusing them and causing them to act out more?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2011