Is home schooling really good for kids?

I have two grandson's (different daughter's boys;) that want to be home schooled. One is special needs and he gets harassed daily and sometimes pushed around. At one school he got beat up pretty bad. It was a small country school too. So his parents moved and got him in a better school but he still gets a lot of bullying. He is so depressed he is begging for home schooling. Has anyone done it and do you think it works out ok? Kids need socialization, but not getting hurt almost daily. The school can't do much about it I guess. Thank you

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 11:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it is good in some ways, not so good in other ways. I think it's good, it doesn't take all day long for home schooling. They do really need interaction with other kids though. Maybe through sports or extra activities. I also think public school prepares them for real life. To me it is the same as adult. There are still gonna be those that try to push buttons and be a##holes. Just my opinion.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• if it is done correctly yes. socialization is not an issue if the parents take an active roll in find homeschool groups and co-ops. I would much rather homeschool my son even if there was no homeschool groups or co-ops then have my son bullied to the point of depression. Obviously the "socialization" he is getting is not so great.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It is the best decision we ever made for our family! I can't tell you how thankful I am that we homeschool every time I hear about problems at schools. All of the anti-social myths are a bunch of bologna. Our children have wonderful social skills, and love conversing with adults. They are able to learn as fast as they are capable of doing, and that isn't really possible in a regular school. They are thriving, intelligent, and love being together all day, and the best part is that we don't have all of the pressures and problems children have to put up with in a school.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• In some ways yes.But they should have other things to do to be social.
    deesam

Answer by deesam at 12:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If my kid was being bullied and begging to be home schooled I'd make it happen.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Honestly -- I don't think homeschool is a good idea. Maybe private school but not home school. I find that many home schooled adults are VERY shy & have a lot of communication problems with kids their own age. I'm not saying its a bad thing...I'm just saying there is a difference in many of them as adults.
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 10:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• we have some family member who were homeschooled through highschool and when it came time for college they were overwhelmed. They did not know or understand how to socialize with the other colleges students or professors. This caused them to not complete their edcuation becuase they couldnot work in a classroom setting.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2011