• In the Spotlight:

When you stop to get gas...

Do you take the keys out, lock the doors and leave the LO(s) in the car while you literally RUN in, or do you take the LO(s) out? Or does it depends how far you are at the pump from the store, or what area you're in? Or how many LO(s) you have with you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Usually I pay at the pump, but the one time the pump's credit card machine wasn't working there happened to be a sheriff getting gas at the same time. I asked if he'd keep an eye on the vehicle while I ran in to pay cause my 4 year old was in the backseat asleep. He was more then willing to stand outside the window and I chuckled when I was walking back towards my car, cause it looked like my son had his own personal body guard. It was coincidence this happened, but had the sheriff not been there I still would've locked the doors, took the keys and ran in without him. I could see my car and in the amount of time it would've taken someone to bust the window and try to hot-wire the car they wouldn't have gotten far.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My Son stays in my truck, as I never have to go inside. I am always right next to my truck, keys on my person, doors locked, driver's window cracked so I can hear my Son and unlock the door if I left my keys inside my truck (which hasn't happened yet, knock on wood). I'm paranoid, lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I've often wondered this with the grandkids in the car. Luckily, I have been able to do it before I pick them up... so far. When my kids were little, of course we still had the option of full service. God, I miss those days. I loved no having to get out of my car. LOL! I am so lazy like that.. but it was 100% convenient for moms!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If I have my 7 year old in the car, yes, I'll take the keys out and have her lock the doors. If I have the 2 year old in the car, I do everything possible not to run in but if I have to run in, I bring her with me.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I have 2 girls 3 & 5 , but i take the keys out (never leave keys in the car with childern) crack the windows and lock the car, i usa;y do try to take my card so i dont have to walk away from the car
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• When I have my DD I only get gas if my DH can run in and pay, or if there is a kiosk outside and I dont have to go inside.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I always slide my card at the pump.If I DO have to go in though most of the time I just take him in, unless I can see the car at all times even from inside the store.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I actually went through this dilemma the other day. I ordered a pizza from Little Caesars and of course they don't deliver but they're delicious and cheap. I put my son in the car and drove there and when I got there I couldn't decide whether to drag him in with me or not. I had to carry to huge pizzas and him if I did. After about 3 minutes of debate I finally decided to take him in. It's not an easy thing for a mother to run errands with her kids. I'd be the first one to admit that!!! As for gas...I always pay at the pump just so I don't have to think about it. I live in Wisconsin and this winter has been brutal so if I can avoid taking him with me I try to!!!
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'll pay outside but if I can't then I bring him in with me.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I usually pay with card but if I don't and they are along I will take them inside with me.
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 12:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2011