Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does it mean when the growth chart says my daughter's weight for height percentile is less than 3rd?

She is 2 years and 7 months, weighs 28 pounds and is 38 inches tall.

 

It actually said <3rd

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • No - they are comparing her height % to her weight %. It actually means that your child is underweight. Even though she's between the 25-50% for weight, because she is in a higher percentile for height, she's in less than the #% for child OF HER HEIGHT. But if your dr isn't concerned, I wouldn't be. My kids have always been long and skinny.
    missanc

    Answer by missanc at 8:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • 3rd %... Probably means she is very, very tiny for her age. 97% of kids her age are bigger than she is.

    Lemme look up another chart real quick.
    Razelda

    Answer by Razelda at 11:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • They are comparing her height and weight to other kids her age. I would call the pediatrician's office and simply ask for a clarification. They would be happy to help.
    zboys

    Answer by zboys at 11:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • This is what I got using the Baby Center one :

    Based on the data you submitted, your child falls into the following percentiles:
    Length = between percentile 75 and 90
    Weight = between percentile 25 and 50

    What do the percentiles mean?

    If your child is in the 20th percentile for weight, for example, he weighs more than 20 percent of children his age and less than the other 80 percent. To gain a better understanding of what growth percentile results mean, click here if you have a child (ages 0-12 months), and click here if you have a toddler (ages 12-36 months).

    http://www.babycenter.com/baby-child-growth-percentile-calculator
    Razelda

    Answer by Razelda at 11:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • There's gotta be something wrong there, mama. I was gonna say you just have a petite little girl but my girl is 2 yrs 8 mo and weighs 33 lbs and I forget how tall, I think right around your girl's height. But ever since she was 2 mo old she's been in the 90th + percentile for height and weight. She was proportionate & healthy, just a big & tall girl all around.
    MamaLisa1976

    Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • she's very small. my 5 month old is in the 97th percentile for height which means only 3% of babies her age are taller than she is...she's a TALL girl
    momofone725

    Answer by momofone725 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • I think at her 2 yr check up she finally got into the 75th percentile on height and weight, so she's a little bigger than the average kid her age but not as big as she was compared to others when she was younger.
    MamaLisa1976

    Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • OP - The chart you used is not accurate. I've used Baby Centers chart and it has ALWAYS aligned with my pediatricians chart as well. I think you should try a new chart and/or consult your doctor.
    Razelda

    Answer by Razelda at 12:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • My son was like that before he hit 1yr. His doctor said as long as he was on the chart, he was good to go. Apparantly it has a small margin or something? that's what the nurse tried to explain to me.
    OurBushBaby

    Answer by OurBushBaby at 12:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • It means that shes bigger then 3% of kids her age, and smaller then 97% of kids her age.
    Krysta622

    Answer by Krysta622 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN