How do I get my 18 month old to sleep in her crib and out of our bed? She climbs out of her crib!

I have 2 kids 13 1/2 years apart. I had my 1st sleeping in her crib from day one. My husband didn't want our new daughter sleeping on the other side of the house so she has been sleeping with us. She just turned 18 months and DH is ready for her to move to her crib. I don't know how to do it. When I let her "cry it out", it can be for more than an hour and she makes herself throw up. She also doesn't sleep through the night. I didn't do this with my first child, I have never delt with this. My husband knows it's his fault but he isn't the one fixing this mess. She needs to get in her own bed.

aktink91

Asked by aktink91 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did this gradually, between 12-18 months. I would rock him to sleep after bath, and then lay him in the crib. The first few weeks he didn't sleep through the night, so when he would wake up, I would try rocking him back to sleep and putting him back, but if that didn't work I would lay him in my bed. After a few weeks of this pattern he became accustomed to it. He always gave him when I rocked him, as long as his cartoons were on tv when I was rocking. lol
    OurBushBaby

Answer by OurBushBaby at 12:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I slept with mine until she turned 2. Then I made a big deal out of it and we converted her crib (yes we had a crib but we rarely used it) into a toddler bed, and I took her out shopping to pick out some of her own new bedding. I talked with her for weeks, kind of "prepping" her into realizing she's a big girl now and she can sleep in her own bed. Then the first week she spent in her bed, I slept on the floor next to her. The transition was seamless. She LOVES her bed now and prefers to be there. Of course she comes in my room in the early morning hours sometimes and wants to snuggle, and I never turn her away. These times are too precious and the love they feel from it is priceless.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would lay him in our bed and lay next to him til he fell asleep, then I would move him to his crib. Then I would lay him in his crib and sing a couple of lullabyes to him and he would fade off to sleep. Now I can lay him in his crib, sing one song, and walk away even if he isn't asleep. He has a teddy bear that he dearly loves and he cuddles up with that.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would let her fall asleep in your bed then move her. Thats how DD got out of our bed! Best of luck hun!!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Just put her in her crib and let her cry it out. I had to do this with my 10 month old son, who is now 30. He cried for 2 hours straight until eventually it went down to 1 hour, half hour, and so on. I would sit and cry along with him (downstairs while he was in his crib upstairs); I did not like this either, but it worked. My second son, who is now 28, would cry until he made himself throw up. It wasn't fun changing sheets all the time, but he also eventually learned where he was supposed to sleep. My daughter-in-law and son are going through something similar with my 3 year old granddaughter. My advice to them is the same, but they haven't taken me up on it. I've got 4 adult children who survived stricter structure. I'm pretty confidant I know what I'm talking about.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• well, when my dd doesn;t wan to sleep in her crib which she really does prefer my bed. i sleep her in my bed and then put her into the crib. but i did CIO when she was about 15months. she now goes to sleep on her own. i put toys in her crib now so she can play but she plays with lights out. no lights on and she is quiet and asleep with in 15mins. sometimes less. does she nap in her crib? maybe start with a routine and put her in her crib and make it a big deal and tell her this is her bed. does she have a special toy or blanket. i tell my dd this is mama's bed and this is her bed. and point to the crib. good luck. you will figure it out just hang in there.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2011