How can some Dog Owners be So Heartless?!

I don't think there is any way i will ever be able to wrap my head around how someone can own a dog & then just decide they don't want it & throw it out! But, my neighbor had no problem doing it- She had two dogs that she put in her backyard with very little food, water, shelter & interaction- almost, every night me or my husband would feed them b/c the owner was never there & i couldn't deal with knowing they were hungry- when the temp. dropped to 13 degrees, my husband went & got 3 barrels of hay & put it in their shed b/c i was freaking out that they were going to Freeze to death- actually, i was pretty pisses b/c i shouldn't of had to worry about my neighbors dogs- she would turn her head when she saw me, she has never spoke a word to me- my husband has had a couple on run-ins w/ her but, she doesn't think she has done anything wrong- she takes the cake; believe me! Anyway, a couple of weeks ago one of the dogs was in our yard when my husband came home so, he yelled over at her 10 yr. old son & said come to the  fence i'll help you get your dog- the kid said- that's o.k.; we don't want him anymore! my husband was like Whooo.... you can't just throw your dog out & he said my mom said- do what you want to with him!  it's alot more to the story but, the most important part is- " Chance " (we renamed him) now doesn't have to worry if he is going to get to eat, be warm, & have someone that loves him:) he was just neutered, microchipped, & everything else he needed a couple of days ago- ( i am still feeding Max over the fence; even after animal control came out!) i put it mildly when i called this dog owner Heartless- don't you think?

daisyb

Asked by daisyb at 12:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Aww. I'm so glad you took him in! Most people wouldn't, or at least wouldn't have been able to. That makes me want to cry. I don't understand how people can just decided that they just don't want a living creature that depends on them for love, food, warmth, and a home! That's *almost* like disowning a child to me. Sooo sad.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Well, I'm sure animal control is very pleased that you chose to keep the dog and fix him up! That's one less dog that will get euthanized, dumped off again, or money spent in foster care! Good for you!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have dogs and cats and I don't know how anyone can be so cold hearted!!! My next door neighbors have two St. Bernards and they leave them out for at least 12 hours no water no food no shelter. They r very mean and aggressive dogs. I cannot even open my kitchen door to my deck without them growling. There r other people around here that have the same kind of dogs and they r not aggressive at all.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Well that's one lucky dog that was taken in by you. If the other dog isn't removed by animal control, maybe you know a friend who wants a dog. If not take it to a shelter where it will be fed and warm. You have done a good deed, and taking the other dog away from them would be doing a really good deed for the other poor dog.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• What a bitch!!!!!!! Her not you. Some people dont understand that having a pet is a resposibility, like a child. However this is not the first or the last time ive heard this. A year ago a neighbor came to my house and said she was moving into an appartment that didnt allow pets, so she was gonna let her dog out in the neighborhood until someone picked her up. I told her that Ill take her if shes gonna do that, it was 10 degrees out and sleeting.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't understand either I have a similar story my neighbor had 2 chihuaha dogs she had we share the back yard and the 1st one was tied at all times no one played with her and sometimes they did not feed her, and then one day she told me she got tired of her so she just let her loose so she will be picked up by someone on the street or get lost, later they got the second one and my DD like him and sometimes the little one came to our side to play with her, as soon she noticed that she tied him up, the puppy was crying all the time it was freezing and she did not let him in or even buy a dog house for him then she went on vacations and left the puppy with a teen who did not fed him and where he was tied a piece of brick fell on him and broke his leg I tried to take care of him but I did not had the money for the vet , when she came back did not took him to the vet just put him somewhere else
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• And she was even upset because another neighbor called animal control she said to me Why dont people just mind their own business? I do not talk to her that much anymore she just got another dog.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Awwww. How precious and yes animal creulty is just disgusting. Way to go for you though.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 1:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• What's the point in having a pet if you are just gonna tie it to a tree?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• you rock

leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2011