Does anyone else not feed their family pre-packaged foods?

Normally when I shop, I don't look around much, and just go to the areas I need in the store. I hit the dairy department, produce department, which are spread very far apart in every store. I realized that I generally don't even go into the middle of the store. The only canned things I buy are tomatoes and tomato puree, and the only reason I go to the cereal aisle is for old fashioned oats about once a month. We have our meat delivered from a local meat packager. For some reason the other night, I was just disgusted at aisle after aisle of packaged junk! I looked around and it was everywhere. Have you ever noticed how HUGE the cereal aisle is? Nothing but processed junk! Then there are all of the boxed dinners, pasta things you heat up, and a massive snack section at Walmart. I was really grossed out. Is it really that hard for people to make food themselves these days? We make our own bread, pasta, and sauces, and buy only meat, dairy, baking staples, and produce. Does anyone else think the rest of the huge stores we have now are worthless?

MyGiftsFromGod

Asked by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Health

• I'm not quite that strict, but I do cook almost all of our food and snacks from scratch. I do NOT feed my kids things like hamburger helper and other high fat, high sodium prepackaged foods. We don't use canned veggies except for canned tomato products and sometimes canned low sodium kidney beans for a quick chili. I don't like boxed cake or dessert mixes, my kids don't like bottled salsa, they don't like premade cake icing. I find it SO much easier and healthier to buy fresh meats, dairy, I make our bread quite often (we do buy whole wheat sandwich bread for quick use), I make all our desserts homemade. My kids feel so lucky normally. Homemade cinnamon rolls and berry cobblers are their favorites. I do buy boxed cereal (Kashi or Cascadian Farms organic), and I do buy them the premade granola bars (also Kashi) but we really try to stay away from processed because if there is something in the ingredients list CONT
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• that I can not pronounce or that just sounds really artificial, why would I want to feed it to my kids? So even though I'm not perfect at it, I do try. I think it's important to raise our kids to eat healthy and to know how to cook healthy, wholesome foods. My boys are 13 and 12, and my daughter is 6. The oldest, he could make himself a meal if he had to. My 12 year olD LOVES to cook, and my DD is always in the kitchen with me. I love that they are particular about what they eat. After learning how it's made, my 12 year old won't touch Jello. I'm happy he sticks to his standards and tries to learn what foods are good and which ones are not!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:07 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Good for you! My children also appreciate eating real food, and after we eat at someone else's house, they often tell me how their food was "fake." They would never tell the hostess though!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Comment by MyGiftsFromGod (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I wish I did have the time and patience to make all my food from scratch. But I we are a store-bought bread eating family lol. I try to stay away from things like Hamburger Helper and Rice A Roni but I do have a bag of frozen potatoes in my freezer!!! :)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Hey, if they are just plain potatoes, they might be just fine!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Comment by MyGiftsFromGod (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I'm not quite as strict, either, but I definitely shop the perimeter of the store. I don't make prepackaged meals, and I make oatmeal or omelets from scratch for breakfast. I eat clean, which basically means eating foods in their most natural state (not the same as a raw diet, but just eating non-processed foods). I shop the farmer's market as much as possible, and don't even go to supermarkets anymore. The closest thing would be Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, which are the two stores I DO shop at unless I need something specific (plus Costco). I can tell when I end up eating processed foods for a day- I get headaches, I have WAY less energy, and I just feel like sleeping. I hate it! I want to find a local butcher, but we're likely moving in the next 6 months, so I may just wait. We live in the PERFECT area for it.
    It AMAZES me how many people don't take the time to cook from scratch anymore. Such a waste.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I care about our health, so I cook from scratch.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Reminds me of the last Joyce Meyers conference that I was at, and she was talking about how in Africa you have two choices for cereal-Wheatabix, and Wheatabix flakes. I do feed my family some prepackaged food, but not nearly as much as I used to. I love recipes from Cooking Light which uses a lot of fresh, natural ingredients. If I could afford to I would give our kids nothing but organic fruits and veggies as well.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 12:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• is bread and pasta hard to make? I'd like to save up and one day buy a vitamix or blendtec blender--you can make wonderful smoothies with them as well. (saw them demonstrated at Costco). Your screenname is AWESOME btw! :)
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 12:38 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• Oh, and with the meat-we are just now having our meat delivered by someone local as well. The quality is soooo much better even if it's more expensive. After all, it isn't that much more expensive and if you do couponing and sales right it doesn't make that big of a difference on your bill.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 12:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2011