Methods of discipline for a 3 year old...

I have been strong on the 'no spanking policy'. Lately my 3 1/2 year old won't mind anything I say. A particular friend of mine makes reference to how she was spanked, basically insinuating I should spank my son. Currently, we do time outs, we explain to him why he is being put in a time out, and why his actions weren't okay. We reenforce it again once the time out is over. It seems these time outs aren't getting through to him. I would love to hear everyones advice and techniques. Thanks for the help!!!

Decksm

Asked by Decksm at 1:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Super Nanny has great tricks for situations like this.  There is nothing wrong with disciplining your way and whatever works for you is best. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We don't spank either. I must say I feel for you because that age is a challenging one. It gets better. What I do is put the child in time out that is facing a wall for the number of mins that match the age. I do not speak to the child unless the child starts talking then I say I'm starting the timer over beause there's no talking. Now my kids know better than to talk during the time outs and I never have to say it anymore. After the time is up, I say "What do you say?" the child says"I'm sorry". I say"What are you sorry for" The child then says whateve the wrong behavior was. I then remind why the behavior is bad and have the child tell me they wont do it anymore. Then we hug and I say I love you and I drop it. I don't mention it again. Water under the bridge. It works very well. Also I don't ever do timeout unless the child has been told 2 times already to stop. I rarely have to anymore. Make sure child is cont
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• getting enough sleep at night and naps and is well fed and getting enough attention. Sometimes it's an issue of a child acting out to get attention because that's the only way he/she can or she/he is overtired or hungry.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• How did you make it through the terrible twos without it? I'd love to know more teqniqes for not spanking a two-year old, myself. Telling them to sit in a corner is like telling a butterfly to land on your hand. Ha! at least a 3yr old understands and can be reasoned with. They also have interests at that age. If he like t.v. take it away. She doesnt know WHAT she likes right now and doesnt give a damn either!
    GaurdianSage826

Answer by GaurdianSage826 at 5:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I never spanked my kids and this is what I did. We got jars that we let the kids decorate and each child got different coloered marbles. When they did something good and behaved they got a marble, like if they picked up their toys they would put a marble in the jar. If they misbehaved then they took a marble out of the jar. After "X" amount of marbles they got a special treat like going for ice cream or ahving their favorite dinner. Try posting the house rules somewhere he can see. I also beleive in positive reinforcement so instead of always getting in trouble reward him for the things he does that are good. Lastly, try talking to him about why he is behaving a certain way and listen to what he says. He is old enough to tell you what he is feeling.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2011